Credit demand and credit supply, response

by on October 27, 2008 at 7:01 am in Economics | Permalink

I don’t agree with much of Alex’s take.  Is he suggesting that the crisis started because *borrowers* lost their appetite for loans?  If so, why in his view is the measured credit aggregate doing fine?  In terms of what really happened, the core story is that the financial systems of many countries have been hit by solvency shocks, some credit markets (not all) have frozen up, we have zombie banks, asset prices tank, and now yes the demand for credit will be going down as well.

Does Alex deny the "solvency shock"?  Or does he think you can have such a shock without some credit markets freezing up?  His post does not tell us but I find either position extremely implausible.

By the way, LIBOR and many other interest rates are rising, not falling; that is not what you would expect if falling credit demand were the key problem.  Nor does Alex mention the "shadow banking system," a core part of the current disintermediation.  There is no way to explain away what is happening there and of course that is not counted in the aggregates Alex consults.  There also has been a massive liquidity scramble in some sectors which again is inconsistent with falling credit demand as the problem.

The current punishment of the banking system goes far beyond the early 1990s; today’s credit crisis is driven by insolvency and potential insolvency but the 90s did not devastate finance or anything like that.  And I’m not especially sanguine about bank recapitalization, as I’ve indicated in numerous posts to date.  For one thing, politicization has its own costs but more importantly there is no guarantee that recapitalized banks will lend on the appropriate scale.

I can at least say with confidence that either Alex or I is totally wrong on this matter.

1 Alex Tabarrok October 27, 2008 at 7:56 am

“The current punishment of the banking system goes far beyond the early 1990s;” and yet, as I show, credit aggregates are stronger now than in the 1990s.

2 y81 October 27, 2008 at 8:49 am

Alex is totally wrong. He doesn’t seem to know of the existence of disintermediation or the extent of the growth, over the past ten years, and collapse, over the past 18 months, of the shadow banking system.

3 blueshi October 28, 2008 at 11:28 pm

now if you want to 裝潢網,you can search for 室內設計 and 裝潢資訊 and 室內設計資訊網 to trans the words,who can help me?

4 cheap Lord Of The Rings Gold June 8, 2009 at 4:15 am

I can get LOTRO Gold cheaply,
Yesterday i bought Lord Of The Rings Goldfor my brother.
i hope him like it. i will give cheap Lord Of The Rings Gold to him as
birthday present. I usually buy LOTRO Gold and keep it in my store.

5 cheap mabinogi June 14, 2009 at 11:12 pm

I am so happy to get some mabinogi gold and the mabinogi money is given by my close friend who tells me that the cheap mabinogi is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should buy mabinogi gold with the spare money and I gain some mabinogi online gold from other players.

6 4story Luna June 15, 2009 at 4:07 am

I think 4story Luna changes my life. Because of 4story Gold, I meet a lot of friends. Besides, my friends usually give me some 4story money. I usually buy 4story Luna through Internet and advice from my friends, so I gain a lot of cheap 4story Luna and harvest in life.

7 cabal online alz June 22, 2009 at 2:56 am

Do you know cabal online alz? I like it. My brother often goes to buy cabal alz and play it. He likes playing games using these cabal gold with his friend. One day, he give me many cabal money and play the game with me. I came to the bar following him and found buy cabal alz was so cheap.