Avoiding winner’s curse

by on November 5, 2008 at 3:56 am in Education | Permalink

Ben Casnocha has some suggestions for making good personal and career contacts:

How to find a hidden gem? Hints from my post on de-emphasizing popular filters: seek out introverts. Seek out people under age 30. Seek out people who are bad at marketing.

Recognize and discount the celebrity effect. Spend time with
people who also have time to spend with you. My bet is you’ll have a
more rewarding relationship.

This is the same Ben who went to a talk of mine in Zurich and introduced himself to me.  I’m not under 30.  In any case, I agree with his bottom line:

The only reason to try to meet with Mr. Busy and Rich for 10 minutes is
if you have a very specific request or need. If you’re just trying to
"network" or build a relationship, don’t waste your time.

1 Someone from the Other Side November 5, 2008 at 5:08 am

I think one of the comments is even more spot on.

Try not to view the powerful/ rich as assets or be struck in awe but treat and see them as “normal” people. Most appreciate it.

2 Andy November 5, 2008 at 12:14 pm

I love seeing Ben Casnocha on Marginal Revolution. His bottom line is gold as always.

Was this post designed because you were getting too many requests for people trying to network with you? If so, you’re subtle as ever.

3 Erik November 5, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Postscript-
I’m hoping that grad school, if or when it happens, will provide an opportunity to meet more interesting and field-specific people from diverse backgrounds, and I look forward to that opportunity.

4 Omar Al-Ubaydli November 6, 2008 at 4:16 pm

In equilibrium, people still try to network despite the bottom line that Tyler agrees with. I agree with Someone from the Other Side: I’m guessing that this happens because people get extra utility from just being in the physical proximity of someone famous and getting to chat with them. Given that people probably (eventually) get fed up with others fawning over them, that implies that there’s an advantage to convincing yourself to stop fawning over celebrities. It’s really not that hard to do, especially when you see how ordinary most of them look in interviews etc.

5 cheap aion money May 12, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Is it realistic ?

6 aion gold May 12, 2009 at 8:25 pm

we should have a try and then give some advice