The culture that is France

by on September 22, 2010 at 3:48 pm in Current Affairs, Food and Drink | Permalink

In the latest in a series of unusual efforts to make Paris green, the city is now offering residents free sparkling water to try to wean Parisians not from red wine, but from overconsumption of plastic bottles.

It comes from a water fountain and the idea already has been tested in Italy:

“We chill the water between 6 and 8 degrees Celsius,” said Philippe Burguière, the spokesman for Eau de Paris, “and then we inject carbon dioxide into regular tap water to make the bubbles thin and tasty.”

There is more here and for the pointer I thank Yana.

1 dearieme September 22, 2010 at 3:52 pm

But Perrier comes in glass bottles.

2 matt mcknight September 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm

CO2? I thought that was evil?

3 Stapke September 22, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I never understood why carbonated water is a cheap commodity in Europe, while it is a quasi luxury in the US, sold in supermarkets only sweetened and flavored or priced up as a diluent of whisky.

There must be some economic reason behind it in addition to the the evil greed of beverage companies.

4 dearieme September 22, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Cheap? It costs us about 30 US cents per two litre bottle.

5 Yan September 22, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Sounds really wonderful.

6 Frank September 22, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I don’t see why we can’t have this stuff piped into our homes, along with various flavors of soda and wine, at metered charges. I understand that it would be too expensive to have all possible varieties in every home, but we can trust the Tiebout mechanism: I move into a neighborhood where the white wine is very dry!

7 Greg Ransom September 22, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Taste tests consistently rank Portland, OR drinking fountain water better than any bottled water on the market.

Portland has a drinking fountain on about ever corner.

8 any September 23, 2010 at 2:17 am

The post should be titled “The culture that is Italy” as the new Parisian fountain is inspired by a Milanese model.

http://www.eaudeparis.fr/jsp/site/Portal.jsp?document_id=1017&portlet_id=211 :
Eau de Paris a adapté pour Paris le concept Casa dell Acqua (Maison de l’eau) développé dans la région de Milan par Cap Holding et Amiacque.
Le système original de gazéification a donc été par conçu en Italie, qui compte déjà de nombreuses fontaines de ce type, et le kiosque qui abrite la fontaine a été élaboré par la Direction des Parcs et Jardins de la Ville de Paris.

9 Pete September 23, 2010 at 6:56 am

You certainly can create the taxes you want in EU countries. What you can’t do is subsidize particular companies or tax imports from other EU countries.

10 Kelvin September 23, 2010 at 10:06 am

@Geoff NoNick

I fondly recall my most recent trip to Venice, whereby my first beverage purchase was an innocent bottle of water labelled “frizzante”. My first oblivious gulp was followed by two minutes of nearly hacking up a lung when all the bubbles went down too fast.

11 Roy September 23, 2010 at 8:30 pm

jmo,

You are correct, I have been waiting my whole life for this opportunity, but I have been waiting for public fountains that dispensed club soda since before that.

dearieme:

In my experience Perrier mostly comes in plastic bottles in Europe these days

12 Rahul September 24, 2010 at 5:26 pm

“In my experience Perrier mostly comes in plastic bottles in Europe these days”

What’s next? Caviar in plastic sachets?