Assorted links

by on October 5, 2010 at 1:41 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. When the eBook is more expensive.

2. How to fly horses around.

3. MIE: The Lockup Prison Restaurant in Shibuya.

4. Is a rented friend a real friend?

5. The personal tax plan of the NZ central banker, Arthur Grimes.

6. "Future selves may score the best reviews of all" — read more here.

David October 5, 2010 at 2:11 pm

The last Terry Prachett book was $9.99 as an e-book, and $8.49 in hardcover. I chose to buy the e-book — faster delivery, no storage space required.

Robert October 5, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I just bought an iPad. I reckon that by the time I’ve read all the freely available books the old publishers will either have gone bust or realized the folly of treating their customers with contempt by ripping them off as much as possible. Either outcome is fine by me, but I’m not a shareholder of any publishing company.

allan October 5, 2010 at 4:00 pm

#5 – A socialist idea if I ever saw one.

A land tax is simply a wealth tax on one portion of one’s wealth. Why not go all the way and tax all assets?

R. Pointer October 5, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I am pretty sure those books are ones that gain from visibility. The publisher is willing to pay you to take the hardcover because that helps to drive sales. If you see someone reading a Kindle, unless you ask, you have no idea what they are reading.

Perfect sense for throw-away novels. They got to pump the public’s attention. It’s now or never.

Dan in Euroland October 5, 2010 at 11:17 pm

————————————–

The issue is the distortionary effect of the tax.

John Thacker October 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Tomasz:

In some cases, Steam games actually have more transferability. You can log into Steam from any computer and access your games (and in some cases, your saves and configuration), without having to bring your DVDs with you.

Steam also sometimes puts games on dramatic sale, too. The price moves around a lot, even more than Amazon, and in a lot of cases it’s actually easier to obtain out-of-print games than finding them retail.

There are also cases I’ve seen where a physical CD is cheaper than buying all the songs (even with whole album discount) from iTunes, Amazon MP3, etc.