The top ten economists on Twitter

by on November 8, 2010 at 4:03 pm in Economics, Web/Tech | Permalink

The list is here, with Paul Krugman at #1 and yours truly at #6.  I am not sure who exactly counts as an economist, so perhaps there are some omitted names.

stephen November 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm

McArdle is a more credible economist than Krugman and she has 1992 followers. If Krugman qualifies as an economist there are many people omitted.

J. Daniel Wright November 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm

That's a pretty stark jump from #2 to #1 – over 17 and a half times as many followers.

Just off the top of my head, Mark Thoma with 2434 followers, seems to be omitted.

tomslee November 8, 2010 at 12:37 pm

"McArdle is a more credible economist than Krugman and she has 1992 followers." [Krugman has 456,921]

The market appears to think otherwise.

Jim November 8, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Krugman may have been an economist at one point.

But if he's still one now, then so is Glenn Beck.

Yancey Ward November 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Where is Madame Sosostris?

foosion November 8, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Mario Rizzo November 8, 2010 at 4:51 pm

STOP WITH THIS TWITTER. It is a waste of time.

Mary Jane November 8, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I think Krugman's fairly new "glamour shot" photo pumped his "followers."

Or it could be my theory that only idiots "tweet."

Andrew November 9, 2010 at 2:57 am

I'm sure it means nothing, but it's funny that the people who think they are independent thinkers are such monolithic followers. In a lot of ways they are very predictably counter-intuitive.

Rahul November 9, 2010 at 7:16 am

@tomslee

Thanks! Glad you found those plots useful. It just seemed odd to me that twitter was being used as the sole metric. I'm a twitter skeptic.

Rahul November 9, 2010 at 8:19 am

@indianajim / tomslee:

I think Krugman wears two hats: There's "Krugman the economist" and then there is "Krugman the social-commentator / political-philosopher / public-speaker etc." The rigor and validity of his stuff needs to be viewed in the context of that. Kind of like Milton Friedman in a way.

Tom Grey November 9, 2010 at 8:36 am

Routledge was on the list, where I haven't visited for awhile. That led me to this GREAT AZ site, with the whole state budget on line. http://www.azcheckbook.com/

The US gov't should do something similar.

J Thomas November 11, 2010 at 6:30 am

@foosion

"Professor of Economics at Princeton and winning the John Bates Clark Medal and the Nobel Prize in economics isn't enough to qualify as an economist? This is a tough crowd. Their credentials must be really awesome."

If somebody says "Quantum mechanics is all bunk" then people will decide he is a crank. Almost everybody knows that QM is true.

And if somebody says "The rocket engines in our ICBMs are defective and 15% of them would fail if launched" then people will wonder why he thinks he knows better than the rocket scientists.

But it takes no special credentials to disagree with an economist. Anybody can do it and generally be considered credible.

Because economics is not rocket science?

illumibriter November 19, 2010 at 2:48 am

Yeah!! economics is not rocket science, it is far ahead than it.

p90x review January 23, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Cool!! I just want to follow them.

african mango January 26, 2011 at 10:17 am

I find it hilarious that 5 years ago, you'd never see an economist using social media and today we do roundups of the top 10 on Twitter. It seems like they should be doing analysis and reports or whatever it is that they do rather than sitting around using Web 2.0 sites.