Temporary rental markets in everything

by on August 19, 2011 at 6:03 pm in Economics | Permalink

Timeshare Backyard is a grass lot in Manhattan’s Lower East Side that is rentable for $50 per hour (see a Reuters report on the project). Renters can specify added cost options like a slip-n-slide, barbecue grill, or live band–though they’ll have to act quickly as the backyard is almost fully booked through August 28, when the endeavor comes to an end. Timeshare Backyard is a project by The Participation Agency, a rather mysterious New York City brand consultancy.

Here is the link, with a good photo (very enticing), a barbecue grill is extra, and for the pointer I thank Selena M.  After August 28, the rental offer goes away.

Bill August 19, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Rent library space. Rent street space when the meters are otherwise free. Rent university lab space for a would be inventor. Rent kitchen space in schools that would otherwise be unused during the summer for canning and preserving foods.

Rent cyclotrons?

Ryan August 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm

It took me way too long to figure out what the green things were with the lady in the poster.

Nikki August 20, 2011 at 3:03 pm

What are they? I still haven’t figured out (I hope).

jk August 19, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Close to what you are referring to: http://www.airbnb.com/

Diane August 20, 2011 at 1:32 am

I’m sorry but unless I am REALLY missing something here, this seems bit like a poor misuse of $50/hour and a sad indicator/pulse of what is going on in NYC. For one thing, there are plenty of places in NYC where you can BBQ and play sports or have a water gun fight for free or nearly free, that do not cost $50/hour. Second of all, if you really wanted to recapture what a backyard felt like, you could hop in a car and go back home to the house you grew up in, or go to a nearby friend’s house in the ‘burbs. Third, what exactly are you trying to replicate smack dab in the middle of the concrete jungle of the LES?? I mean, you are IN a rectangular box in between walls of concrete! I have nothing against NYC and nothing against people spending their money on all sorts of entertainment in NYC. Bottle service – do it. Per Se – sure. Reserve your own lane/space/food at Brooklyn Bowl for overpriced bowling – ok. At least there I can justify the value better than this faux backyard. This just seems like a clear disingenuous and a sheer waste of funds. Over the top.

(I thought this article was going to be about group renting/using/sharing environmentally friendly type markets/businesses like Zipcar, Airbnb, Housefed, etc.)

dan1111 August 20, 2011 at 4:36 am

Where in Manhattan can you rent a large private space for $50/hr?

That said, it seems like mainly a marketing gimmick, not an actual business model. It is apparently available only from August 11th to August 28th. It is put on by some sort of advertising firm, and they are getting a huge amount of free publicity for it, proving their advertising skills.

dearieme August 20, 2011 at 3:23 am

Thank you for introducing me to the slip’n'slide. The equivalent British event would include a “bouncy castle”. Do you do them in the US?

Andrew' August 20, 2011 at 5:41 am

We have a slip’n'slide AND a bouncy castle. Sorry about that whole transfer of world domination thing.

Careless August 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm

To further Andrew’s point, we call bouncy castles “moon walks”

Andrew Montgomery August 20, 2011 at 6:10 am

Wouldn’t they raise more money by simply turning it into a parking lot? $20 per car per day, maybe 50 cars fit in there (double if you use those car-stacking machines that other NYC car parks have), seems like better value for the landowner.

In this instance of course, the value of free viral advertising is a lot higher.

Andrew' August 20, 2011 at 7:14 am

They need a train valet. You drive into NYC, park your car on the train. The train takes your car to a parking lot in the morning and then brings it back at the end of the day.

Andrew Montgomery August 20, 2011 at 10:03 am

Go to YouTube. Type in “japan automated parking”. Watch any one of the incredible videos. I always wondered why NYC doesn’t have such things.

Ed August 20, 2011 at 11:34 am

“I’m sorry but unless I am REALLY missing something here, this seems bit like a poor misuse of $50/hour and a sad indicator/pulse of what is going on in NYC.”

It is both. Its being laughed at on the NYC centered blogs.

Diane August 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Ok – thanks for letting me know Ed! In retrospect and partially based on other comments, I guess they are achieving their goal of publicity whereas I took their ad literally. No publicity is bad publicity?

Nick August 20, 2011 at 11:47 am

I was recently vacationing in Bucharest and the local news did a piece on this. Found it interesting that of all the stories coming out of America they decided to pick this one up.

jaw crusher August 25, 2011 at 5:11 am

for these styles its recommended that if you are a half size you should size up. So,

gamesliga September 13, 2011 at 6:02 am

gamesliga bahis yap. gamesliga bahis sitesi. gamesliga bahis sitesi. gamesliga
ddddd