Markets in everything, Hallmark card for job loss

by on October 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm in Economics | Permalink

It does not mention the ZMP idea, so perhaps Mark Thoma’s blog has had more influence at Hallmark: the cover states “Life Isn’t Fair” and the inside reads:

You didn’t cause this.

You don’t deserve this.

You simply have to get through it.

And I know you will,

Because I know you!

For the pointer I thank Jerry Brito.

dearieme October 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Does it play a tune? Perhaps “Buddy can you spare a dime”?

Hoosier October 25, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Like!

K October 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Don’t you have to go through this as well? After all, this is the last … in your life.

Hope you stay strong. And don’t look back. Don’t look back.

Moby Hick October 25, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Worthless ol’ Fed
really screwed you.

Justin October 25, 2011 at 4:38 pm

That card looks like any of hundreds of “sympathy” cards you can find anywhere, there’s nothing in the card that gives the impression it’s written specifically for job loss as opposed to any other unfortunate event.

JoeDog October 25, 2011 at 4:42 pm

You didn’t cause this.
You don’t deserve this.
But offshore workers cost 1/5th as much as you
And the CEO needs a bigger bonus….

zrzzz October 25, 2011 at 9:29 pm

The same CEO who paid less taxes than you last year and is on Obama’s council for job creation.

Jim October 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm

You didn’t cause this. You don’t deserve this.

But hey, other people thought it would be cool to vote for a community organizer because they liked his skin color.

So now, you just have to get through this….

msgkings October 25, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Classic ODR.

Too bad McCain didn’t win, unemployment would be at 6% right now.

JWatts October 25, 2011 at 5:35 pm

That’s impossible to predict one way or the other, but it’s certain that Obama has failed at his own stated objectives.

msgkings October 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm

No, I ‘predict’ that if McCain was president unemployment would be about where it is now. Maybe a little higher.

See, not impossible at all.

JWatts October 25, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Touche

M. Dutton October 25, 2011 at 6:24 pm

What’s ODR?

msgkings October 25, 2011 at 8:23 pm

That was my bad, meant ODS. Obama Derangement Syndrome.

Jim Crow October 26, 2011 at 9:50 am

Are you talking about people voting for white presidential candidates because they are white, or protestants because they are protestants, or men because they are men, or are you being a bigoted jerk?

Robert Wiblin October 25, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I scream inside every time I read comments like this:

“I can’t help but think Hallmark is trying to make money on the back of a very real problem.”

This seems like a great product idea. If it makes someone feel better after a (traumatic) job loss – fantastic.

tkehler October 25, 2011 at 8:53 pm

“You didn’t cause this.” “You didn’t deserve this.”

“Sure, you were late umpteen times, spent a lot of time around the water cooler telling jokes, dropped your pants and photocopied your butt, hung up the phone on an important client, shipped the wrong items to Dakota not Alaska, showed the senior partner your hit on your colleague’s wife at the Xmas party … but apart from that, dude, you did NOT deserve this.”

Craig October 26, 2011 at 8:47 am

Actually in my case it was “Sure you were training to run a half marathon, caught a mild case of food poisoning from a local restaurant, which resulted in a very rare autoimmune reaction called polymyositis, which lead to you spending six months in a wheelchair and losing your job and health insurance in the process. If it weren’t for the fact that your wife had a job with health insurance, and you were able to get onto her policy, you’d both be living with her parents right now.”

But I understand your point.

zrzzz October 25, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I think if my coworkers gave me this, my response would be: “Fuck you and your smugness, you’re not the one who’s about to lose all of their savings and probably their house.”

Crass, Hallmark.

Anthony October 25, 2011 at 11:08 pm

“Life isn’t Fair” should read “Capitalism isn’t Fair,” and with that the edit is done. No need to blame biological existence itself if we are talking of humans, who have risen above the red-in-tooth-and-claw stage to a level including morality.

TheCrankyProfessor October 26, 2011 at 7:13 am

Many of the unemployed might appreciate it more if it included a grocery store gift-card.

mark October 26, 2011 at 7:36 am

Pretty snarky lead sentence (which I enjoyed very much)..