Markets in everything

by on December 9, 2011 at 1:25 pm in Economics | Permalink

A Craigslist ad:

$1 / 15ft² – need roommate for my occupy tent (financial district)

My step father gave me his old tent to use so I can occupy the financial district. I set up a few nights ago but the cops were able to kick me out by using a big german sheapard to scare me. I want a roommate to help set up a new camp and watch my back in case the NAzis with the GERMAN dog come back to kick me out. I also have a video camera we can share in case they harrass us.

I am clean and keep a neat tent. I shave and shower every other week, we can alternate so some one is always in the tent. My girlfriend will bring food so we don’t have to leave. $1.00 rent is due upon our agreement and is due on the first of every month. It is not refundable as your dollar symbolizes your dedication to the tent and our cause.

Cats are OK, but you are not free to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests.  For the pointer I thank David Gonzalez.

neoclassical_libertarian December 9, 2011 at 1:38 pm

OMG! An unregulated Craigslist market? We should tax that transaction and put in place strong Occupier safety regulations immediately in the name of the common good.

Michael Orlowski December 9, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Maybe one dollar is too high of a rent, rent control perhaps?

neoclassical_libertarian December 10, 2011 at 10:43 am

LOL!

Brandon Robison December 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Satire.

zbicyclist December 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Agree. This posting seems like an obvious Craig’s List joke. Funny enough, though.

Yancey Ward December 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Unintentional satire is more likely, I think. Doesn’t quite read like intentional parody to me.

davidb December 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Funny. But, even if that person were to find someone with whom to partner up, I’m pretty sure David Stern would block the deal.

Andrew' December 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm

David Stern shouldn’t block the sleeping arrangements of two consenting adults, that’s what the cat is for.

NAME REDACTED December 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm

lol.

Popeye December 9, 2011 at 11:09 pm

dearieme December 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I’m mildly surprised that the racist equating of German and Nazi is tolerated. I suppose it’s OK to be racist about white people.

Popeye December 9, 2011 at 9:06 pm