Assorted links

by on April 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. The 50th anniversary of The Golden Notebook; it’s a very good book.

2. Rebranding the Freemasons.

3. $5 markets in everything, and here.

4. The religious affiliations of various superheroes.

5. Climate Change and Common Sense: Essays in Honour of Tom Schelling, edited by Robert Hahn and Alastair Ulph, comes out today.

enrique April 7, 2012 at 6:50 pm

#5 — I see that the climate change book is going for $90 USD on amazon — I will wait until my university library acquires it to read the articles that might interest me

Joe Smith April 7, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I read the Golden Notebook as assigned reading about 40 years ago.

I thought it was self indulgent, self absorbed chic lit.

Millian April 8, 2012 at 8:13 am

That’s super. I guess that is why you have that book review column in the NYT.

J April 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Before this degenerates into a debate about global warming, I’ll second Enrique – that’s a lot of money for a book. And no Kindle version? Is it intended as a textbook?

Scoop April 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

2. Freemasons need to embrace the conspiracy theory that they run everything. It’s much more exciting — and better for recruiting — than the reality of mild men of middle and greater years hanging out and engaging in yawn-inducing good works.

Bender Bending Rodriguez April 8, 2012 at 3:27 am

The Freemasons past their prime years ago. It’s the Stonecutters that run everything now. I don’t even think the Freemasons in their prime could have made Steve Guttenberg a star.

Miraj Patel April 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

It should be http://fiverr.com/ not fivver

Willitts April 8, 2012 at 3:02 am

Happy Passover and Easter everybody.

dan1111 April 8, 2012 at 5:27 am

#2 – there’s supposedly “no such thing as the secret handshake” but once an old Mason mistakenly thought I gave him the secret handshake, responding with a coded phrase.

Millian April 8, 2012 at 8:15 am

2. Lack of women in the Masons = naff. Not appealling to young men. Also, more women managers makes it a worse networking tool.

Wimivo April 8, 2012 at 9:37 am

4) “The Atheist” is apparently agnostic.

TallDave April 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm

5. “the growing evidence that climate change is a serious problem” Much like the growing evidence that homeopathy really works, there is an ever-growing mountain of poorly researched, badly reviewed, activist-driven climate science that convinces fewer people than ever. Common sense, indeed.