How to get stuff done

by on April 21, 2012 at 4:35 am in Education | Permalink

This is a good discussion, I agree with most of it, for most people.  Here is one bit:

The hardest part is often just starting. I’ve found that it’s especially hard for me to start when a task is difficult or complex. The more importance and weight a certain activity has in my life or business, the more I seem to put off starting.

However, if I can just get moving on it, even for a few minutes, it tends to get easier.

Because I know this about myself, rather than setting the intention to finish something, I resolve myself to start. The more often I start, the easier things get finished. Overcoming that first bit of inertia is the biggest challenge (just like getting started on a run, or the first push of getting a car moving).

Once things are moving, momentum is on your side.

That is from Jonathan Mead, hat tip goes to Anya Kamenetz.  You also can enter “time management” into the MR search function, and then scroll down a bit.

1 Steve Borek April 21, 2012 at 9:22 am

Taking the first step is hard for many. I wrote this short post a while back on the subject. http://endgamebusiness.com/blog/the-first-step/

2 Jim April 21, 2012 at 10:30 am

Synergistically, we often get stuck or stalled in the crannies of large projects; better to press on in other areas if at all possible. The right brain likes to understand the big picture; let the left brain keep going.

3 Siod April 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Hilarious Jim; perfect impression of braindead meaningless management speak.

4 pmp April 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Wow, what a mean response. Jim said, “don’t get stuck on one small aspect of a large, multi-part problem. Pick a segment that might be easier and continue.”

And you said, “F you, you management dweeb.”

Now, Siod, why are you being such a goon?

5 Becky Hargrove April 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm

It seems both sides of the brain take turns holding each other hostage! Sometimes I have to get up and walk away from a sentence that makes no sense, yet the next day is completely clear.

6 Stefan April 21, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Slight off-topic, but don’t think I’ve ever seen it addressed here. Tyler, you seem like an admirably self-disciplined person (and also modest enough that you’d probably deny this). Does physical fitness play any role in your weekly regimen of blogging, researching, reading, and eating?

7 Andrew' April 21, 2012 at 10:34 pm

He should get a treadmill that he can put books and a laptop on. I say he should because EVERYONE should.

8 Me, Myself and AI April 22, 2012 at 2:09 am

What are good treadmill models that are good for reading books or using a laptop?

9 Alvin April 22, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Great question to ask Tyler. I’ve wondered the same, especially when he talks about food and what he had for lunch. Personally, I can’t get any work done after eating out/having a big lunch. I eat light during the day and try to work out in the morning or lunch. I’d much rather workout than go out for lunch – I feel much more productive the rest of the afternoon.

10 TallDave April 23, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Yeah, I figured this out in college, when I was working full-time with a full load. Just jump right the hell in, once you’re in things somehow get done.