Mustache markets in everything

by on December 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

…not all mustaches are created equal, and in recent years, increasing numbers of Middle Eastern men have been going under the knife to attain the perfect specimen.

Turkish plastic surgeon Selahattin Tulunay says the number of mustache implants he performs has boomed in the last few years. He now performs 50-60 of the procedures a month, on patients who hail mostly from the Middle East and travel to Turkey as medical tourists.

He said his patients generally want thick mustaches as they felt they would make them look mature and dignified.

“For some men who look young and junior, they think (a mustache) is a must to look senior … more professional and wise,” he said. “They think it is prestigious.”

Here is more and for the pointer I thank Michael Wellhouse.  And to overcome the shortage of collateral:

Men swore on their mustaches in sayings and folk tales, used them as collateral for loans and guarantees for promises, and sometimes even shaved their opponents’ lips as a punishment.

turang December 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm

It is quite reasonable that mustaches are prized in some places. I believe some police forces in in India have a special mustache maintenance allowance for policemen who have particularly good specimens.

Rahul December 4, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Wouldn’t a mustache be hand-to-hand combat-nightmare?

Further imagine a sabotage diver and a naval-dolphin grabbing on to his mustache…….

DocMerlin December 4, 2012 at 9:25 pm

No, facial hair acts like a dry lubricant which means that strikes to the face are much less likely to cause cuts.
This is also why boxers cover their faces in Vaseline.

kebko December 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Sadly, there is now apparently a gross oversupply. I frequently see men at bars advertising mustache rides for only a nickle.

There is no way they are paying for the procedure at that rate. Here comes another collapse in collateral.

turang December 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm
Andrew' December 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm

60 days same as ‘stache.

Ricardo December 4, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Turkey Vulture December 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Mustaches are ridiculous. Beards are spectacular.

Peter December 4, 2012 at 5:20 pm

If only women in America would start appreciating the virtues of body hair … (sigh).

Thor December 4, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Many do. Many like Van Dykes and goatees (which, they think, correlate with “adventuresome” personalities). They are just largely indifferent to moustaches and very much against beards.

Peter December 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm

That’s not quite what I had in mind.

Careless December 5, 2012 at 9:59 am

He’s a pubic hair fetishist.Although I suppose he’s into arm and leg and armpit hair and just hasn’t mentioned I.

Careless December 5, 2012 at 10:02 am

Missing an “it’s possible” in that post

Steko December 4, 2012 at 6:39 pm

If only Peter’s woman would wear a fake beard for a week he might not be sighing in this thread.

byomtov December 4, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Here is a great and relevant photograph by Mary Ellen Mark.

So Much For Subtlety December 4, 2012 at 9:35 pm

So now I think I understand the Syrian Civil War. They looked at Baby Asad’s whispy mustache and realised he was not half the man his father was.

If only he had facial hair like one of the Village People!

Dismalist December 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Anybody got health insurance coverage for this?

Howl December 4, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Soon. Someone will claim that their wispy ‘stache is causing their low self-esteem and demand coverage.

Careless December 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

The McArdle post would be “mandates don’t stay modest”

libert December 5, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Here’s another mustache market in everything. David Axelrod will shave his mustache off if people donate enough to reach the target of $1 million in donations for charity: see http://www.crowdrise.com/slashthestache

Iormina December 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Great post! I love that cartoon!! I have the otpisope problem from you, Kim, I met my husband in 1996. I have never seen him without a beard or mustache : ) I have asked him over the years to cut it just to see what he looks like (wink!) but I doubt he ever will so it is a jolly good thing! I like mustaches!!Fun post and GREAT blog!!Patti