*Spring Breakers*

by on March 28, 2013 at 3:22 pm in Film, Uncategorized | Permalink

What comes to mind are Wild Things, The Night of the Hunter, Girls, Russ Meyer, Sam Peckinpah, David Lynch, Camille Paglia, Roissy, Calderon, Ross Douthat, and The Real Cancun.  Not for everyone, but more vital than almost all of the Hollywood movies I have seen over the last few years.  Here is one useful review.

bob March 28, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I’d be more interested to here what you have to say bout Gummo if you’ve seen that.

Urstoff March 28, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I’m waiting for Armond White’s review.

ricardo March 28, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Do you mean The Night of the Hunter?

albert magnus March 28, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Heather Havrilesky’s review of the “The Real Cancun” is always worth revisiting:

Careless March 28, 2013 at 4:47 pm

The first time a Cowen post seems like half of it could be reduced to “what comes to mind are boobs”

Orange14 March 28, 2013 at 4:56 pm
Ted Craig March 28, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Is it 10,000 BC good? And what did Tyrone think?

john pertz March 28, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I dont think anyone understands middle class trash culture better than Korine after seeing Spring Breakers. He just nails it on so many levels with that film.

In his earliest works KIDS and GUMMO, you can see a sympathy in the way he portrays those lower class figures living in the struggle. However, in Spring Breakers, I think Korine’s sympathy for his characters is completely gone. It is almost as if Korine is in awe, not disgust, but in awe of the arrogant and debauched way in which his characters live.

ricardo March 28, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I think Kids was Larry Clark. Agree with what you say, especially Gummo (great film that he’s never quite lived up to).

Ted Craig March 28, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Korine wrote Kids.

uffy March 28, 2013 at 11:15 pm

So did Larry Clark.

Gary March 28, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Ross Douthat?!? Really? Sorry, more explanation needed or else this is a really weird post. When I watch of sex-coms (Revenge of the Nerds, American Pie, etc.), the one thing I do not think of are New York Times bloggers.

ricardo March 28, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Ted Craig March 28, 2013 at 8:45 pm

This post isn’t really weird if you’re used to Tyler.

Tim March 29, 2013 at 3:20 am

Went to see it tonight partly on the basis of Tyler’s recommendation. It was terrible, uninspired, a sad amoral jigglefest that plays the “violence = meaning” game. And above all, BORING. Loved Gummo. At least it had heart. Ugh.

j r March 29, 2013 at 11:01 am

I’m not that smart. I went to state school. Can some explain to me, or point me in the direction of someone who can, what the eff Gummo was about?

FredR March 29, 2013 at 11:07 am

It’s the movie we deserve, not the movie we need.

K.R. McKenzie March 30, 2013 at 10:10 am

I think the most interesting part of this film is trying to figure out what was comedy and what wasn’t. Tyler, did you laugh? And if so, when?

The Brittany Spears part was clearly comedy, to me anyway.

Mark Thorson March 30, 2013 at 1:55 pm
Matt March 30, 2013 at 9:27 pm

If by “vital” you mean “full of Life”, there might be something to that, but that’s as much a comment on hollywood as it is on this movie. I agree with the boobs comment from Careless earlier in the thread. I think the “vitality” one feels might simply be the effect of being subjected to long lingering shots of the young taut bodies writhing, jiggling, covered in drugs and alcohol. Having never experienced spring break, I want to assume this bears some semblance to what actually happens. It adds to the fantasy of it all. Upon reflection, the more arousing parts of the film reminded me of the experience of being in a strip club with friends. An odd mix of exhibitionism and voyeurism and shared sexual experience (for lack of a better term) but made “safe” by the relative anonymity of the theater’s darkness. It’s a gross oversimplification, but imagine an animated version of http://champagnefacials.tumblr.com/ but with the added bonus of James Franco being somewhat hilarious. I think there was a story too, but, you know…boobs.

I guess this movie is definitely some sort of articfact, and some sort of comment on/snapshot of American culture. I think if you simply extracted all of the spring break footage and ran it on a loop in an art gallery, it would be…some kind of art. And i think it exists as some kind of art in its feature length form as well, but…I think the story is secondary to everything else that goes on in this film. I almost walked out towards the end. I just wanted to know the ending, I wasn’t interested in watching the movie much longer. I was disappointed with the ending. Some other members in the audience groaned.

All in all, not as awful as Terminator 4. And it didn’t have Nicolas Cage, which is generally a plus.

skillrex, bitches.

Andreas Moser April 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm

“What is a spring?”, I am asking you from Eastern Europe: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/where-the-is-spring/