Labor markets in everything

by on May 3, 2013 at 12:17 pm in Economics, Uncategorized | Permalink

A New York City real estate company made the offer and dozens of employees are getting inked.

As CBS 2′s Emily Smith reported Tuesday, a tattoo can be a way to show off your personality. For Rapid Realty employees, it is the fast track to a 15 percent pay raise if you get inked with the company logo.

There are no size or location restrictions. Brooke Koropatnick got hers behind the ear.

The story is here, and for the pointer I thank Mark Thorson.  By the way, there is this too:

The credit doesn’t go to Rapid Realty owner Anthony Lolli. He said he got the idea from a loyal employee who wasn’t doing it for money.

“He calls me up, he says ‘Hey Anthony, I’m getting the logo on me.’ I show up at the shop and I’m like ‘this is cool, how can I repay you?’” Lolli said.

Arthur May 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Are you updating your views of signaling?

Buckingham Bandit May 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Does the possibility of turning humans into a billboard forever end the plight of the ZMP worker?

xdt May 3, 2013 at 7:46 pm
Bob May 3, 2013 at 1:14 pm

It should be noted that anyone with experience in NYC avoids rapid realty like the plague.

come on May 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm

50 shades of Auschwitz here …

prior_approval May 3, 2013 at 1:46 pm

What, you don’t believe that work is the way to freedom?

How unAmerican.

Cliff May 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Because in Auschwitz prisoners had the choice of getting a tattoo in return for a 15% increase in food rations? Or what?

dearieme May 3, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Arseholes.

dead serious May 3, 2013 at 3:46 pm

“…it is the fast track to a 15 percent pay raise if you get inked with the company logo.”

“I was like, why am I throwing my money away when I could give myself from a $25,000 to $40,000 for the same amount of work?” Barry told Smith.”

Someone who can’t calculate 15% is in for a rude awakening.

Cliff May 3, 2013 at 9:11 pm

It’s based on commission, so you can’t get an exact amount

dbg May 3, 2013 at 4:21 pm

For those of you not from NYC, this is worth knowing:

Rapid Realty is basically the bottom of the barrel of real estate brokers. They specialize in renting shithole apartments to people who don’t know any better.