Assorted links

by on December 30, 2013 at 2:47 am in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. A relationship in five minutes.

2. First they have Scarlett Johansson play an operating system, then Jessica Alba as a Borneo tribeswoman, what will be next?

3. Ten simple points on how to be nettlesome.

4. Preserved moments of historical sass (volume seven).

5. Communicating in restaurants without words.

Enrique December 30, 2013 at 3:06 am

These awesome assorted links show once again that great blogs like MR are not only a public good; but also that such blogs refute standard economic analysis (unless one wants to assert some ad hoc signalling theory or postulate that fame is an end in itself)

Jody December 30, 2013 at 7:53 am

???

The private provisioning of public goods is well known in economics (and to my neighbors every 4th of July).

LB December 30, 2013 at 3:55 am

Tyler, if you like 1, here’s a collection of similarly reductionist videos about life in Singapore. (The sidebar should link to many other videos in the genre.) I strongly recommend this one as well — it seems potentially informative about declining birthrates in Singapore.

anon December 30, 2013 at 8:34 am

:-)

Andrew Smith December 30, 2013 at 5:29 am

That Jessica Alba movie is more than 10 years old.

Careless December 30, 2013 at 6:02 pm

The gods of aging are slightly less cruel.

Careless December 31, 2013 at 4:02 am

Man, posts that mention hot chicks at their peak years later are harsh

contextual December 30, 2013 at 6:02 am

On the chess site, they almost had me. I haven’t played chess in years but the popup with the download link had me clicking. Sure, I’ll download the demo and give it a try.

Nope. Fooled me. Just took me to a product page. They lost a potential sale there.

anon December 30, 2013 at 8:29 am

4. Preserved moments of historical sass (volume seven).

Very interesting site: see “The Lost Art of the Cutaway”

Brian Donohue December 30, 2013 at 9:01 am

yeah, good link.

mike December 30, 2013 at 10:36 am

Reminds me of this Jessica Alba moment on George Lopez:

Pop culture programming has made Alba desperately desperately want to not be white, to the point of claiming that like, maybe i’m from spain, and i guess spain isn’t really part of europe

Careless December 31, 2013 at 3:02 pm

lol

I’m not sure if the Spain thing was better than the crowd reaction to 87% European