Markets in everything

by on January 28, 2014 at 1:47 pm in Economics, Music, Philosophy | Permalink

For only 23,500 euros (who says you can’t take it with you?):

Sweden’s Catacombo Sound System is a funeral casket that eternally plays the deceased’s choice of tracks while they’re six feet under.

Created by Pause Ljud & Bild, the system consists of three different parts. Firstly, users create an account through the online CataPlay platform, which connects to Spotify and enables customers to curate a playlist for their own coffin or get friends and family to choose the tracks when they’re gone. The CataTomb is a 4G-enabled gravestone that receives the music from CataPlay and display the current track — along with details and tributes to the deceased — through a 7-inch LCD Display. Finally, the CataCoffin is where the parted will themselves enjoy two-way front speakers, 4-inch midbass drivers and an 8-inch sub-bass element that deliver dimensional high-fidelity audio tailored to the acoustics of the casket. The video below explains more about the concept…

Of course I want Brahms’s German Requiem, the Rudolf Kempe recording.  I am afraid, however, that I (in some form) will last longer than Spotify does.

For the pointer I thank Michael Rosenwald.

bmcburney January 28, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Shouldn’t this be a “There is no Great Stagnation” post?

prior_approval January 28, 2014 at 1:58 pm

‘I am afraid, however, that I (in some form) will last longer than Spotify does.’

Some of us learned, ca,. 1996, to save digital data in a form that should last as long as GPL software does.

Cliff January 28, 2014 at 2:03 pm

By “digital data” are you referring to your mind? Otherwise I don’t get the relevance.

Tylesh Cowenari January 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Hugo Lindgren asked me to explain to him why I think Dhaka is the best city in the world

by Tylesh Cowenari on January 24, 2014 at 12:35 am in Food and Drink, s**t| Permalink

I wrote this email, which in the interests of varying the “voice” on this blog I have not in the meantime edited:

Best feces in the subcontinent, no real comparison especially adjusting for price.

Best tuk tuk driving for classic routes and views of rotting cadavers and corrugated iron and also availability of parking along the way

Best walking city in the subcontinent(if you can avoid the droppings), and year round (GREAT CLIMATE, TRUE FUN, DO TRY IT)

The city has its own excellent musical soundtrack, Ali Akbar Khan, Pannalal Ghosh , etc., has aged better than the West Bengali groups I think.

Incredible slums and shantytowns, almost everywhere.

Everyone goes to the communal latrines.

First-rate concert life, including classical and contemporary classical. (SHITAR CONCERTS GOOD PRICE)

Very interesting art galleries.

Few book stores (we can’t read) and the people have no real sense of hygiene, but nowhere is perfect!

HL January 28, 2014 at 8:13 pm

180 would silent shit post again

Sanjay January 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Well, or even perhaps longer than some cel phone standards. But this would seem to be a truly wondrous thing for the practical joker with an interest in hte afterlife. It would be interesting to, say, hack this thing so that Tyler (for example) finds himself, to his surprise, listening to “Rock you like a hurricane” (for example) for all eternity. Presumably if there’s any kind of afterlife associated with the physical reamins, well, you’d find out if there’s any possbile mechanism for it to make itself felt.

Mark Thorson January 28, 2014 at 3:47 pm

No, the best eternal torment would be playing It’s a Small World. If I were in charge of Guantanamo, that would be one of the tortures I would inflict. I suppose it would have more impact translated into the languages of the internees, not to send a message but to make it harder to tune out.

Jody January 28, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Markets in everything – Rickrolling the dead.

Tylesh Cowenari January 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm

by Tylesh Cowenari on January 24, 2014 at 12:35 am in Food and Drink, shit| Permalink

Incredible slums and shantytowns, almost everywhere.

Everyone goes to the communal latrines.

Very interesting art galleries.

Marie January 28, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Hey, look, there is a hell!

Bill January 28, 2014 at 2:53 pm

+1 Imagine if your spouse didn’t like you and changed the channels to music you detested.

Conspicuous consumption from the grave.

msgkings January 28, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Dumb spouse…’you’ aren’t there to detest anything.

Marie January 28, 2014 at 4:52 pm

That’s an interesting version of Pascal’s Wager!

msgkings January 28, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Indeed, LOL

And I imagine the living spouse still gets some utility from the spite…

All American January 28, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Makes me think of the Egyptians, they had big plans on taking all their valuables, crockery, slaves and money with them into the next world. Instead, it just was looted thousands of years later by another group of people also interested in cashing in. Seems to be the trend with mankind. Obviously, the sound enabled coffin is ridiculous.

Nick_L January 28, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Whistlin’ past the graveyard would take on a whole new meaning, wouldn’t it? Myself, I’d be torn between ‘Stuck in the middle with you’ and ‘We’ve got to get out of this place’.

Yancey Ward January 28, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Your enemies will bury you with Bulgarian Disco.

Marie January 28, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Imagine how mad the zombies are going to be.

Anthony January 28, 2014 at 10:52 pm

O grave, where is thy victrola?

Marie January 31, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Ouch.

RP January 31, 2014 at 11:17 pm

O death, where is thy Sting?

CB January 29, 2014 at 12:12 am

If the subwoofer is strong enough consider the new possibilities for grave dancing – does the playlist take visitor requests? then hell is other people(‘s music.)
Or 4:33 = R.I.P. with an eternal smile.

John, Paul & George Satre January 29, 2014 at 11:11 am

Hell is other people’s record collections.

K-Veikko February 4, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Most obviously this catacomb-music is free of copyright fees because nobody listens to the music.