Have stuff delivered to your car

by on February 24, 2014 at 2:32 pm in Science, Web/Tech | Permalink

Via Mark Perry:

In a ground-breaking technology move for the automotive industry, Volvo Cars demonstrates the world’s first delivery of food to the car – a new form of ‘roam delivery’ services. The service will allow consumers to have their shopping delivered straight to their car, no matter where they are. Volvo’s new digital keys technology means that car owners will be able to choose their car as a delivery option when ordering goods online. Via a smartphone or a tablet, the owner will be informed when a delivery company wants to drop off or pick up something from the car.

Having accepted the delivery, he or she then hands out a digital key and can track when the car is opened and then locked again. Once the pick-up or drop-off is completed, the digital key ceases to exist.

For the pointer I thank Samir Varma.

NPW February 24, 2014 at 2:43 pm

In the trade off between security and convenience this might be a step too far in the direction of convenience. I don’t think that the convenience of ease of package deliver is sufficient reason to allow a random stranger access to my car.

Just doesn’t seem like a good idea.

How many people would find this the best option? I suppose if you don’t have a decent option for home or work delivery, a car would be an option.

The only time when I can remember wishing I had this option is when I forgot to put my jack back in my car, and I had a flat. While there are plenty of business models that turn a profit off of human stupidity, I don’t know that they can get enough business away from AAA.

Steve Sailer February 24, 2014 at 2:47 pm

I’ve got a great idea: to cut down on the expense and inconvenience of buying bottled water at the store, wouldn’t it be great if you could have a pipe running right into your house bringing in clean drinking water at a tiny fraction of the price of store-bought water?

Anthony February 24, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Perhaps Starbucks could offer a similar service. Would bring a whole new meaning to the term “fat pipe”.

Penelope February 25, 2014 at 11:08 am

Anthony, watch the first 1.30 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJUUWCuN8o

Bob Knaus February 24, 2014 at 2:51 pm

More people living in cars? Technology brings new services to improve their lives!

Alexei Sadeski February 24, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Pretty awesome.

Wonder if it’d be feasible in US, given liability law.

chuck martel February 24, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Since it’s a smartphone app, and the smartphone is normally on your person, why not get the item delivered directly to you? But then you wouldn’t need to buy a Volvo, would you?

Max Factor February 24, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I read that what you are suggesting is actually the next delivery frontier – once they nail same day shipping. You get off a plane and realize you forgot to bring a charger – zip – a delivery car drops one off to you at the taxi stand.

mb February 24, 2014 at 9:29 pm

A delivery drone, you mean.

jmo February 24, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I work in a building with 11,000 other people – letting everyone get their personal packages delivered would be quite a production. It would be easier if it could all be left in everyone’s trunk.

sean February 24, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Does it come with a latitude, longitude and elevation coordinate system? How would they find it in a parking garage?

J February 24, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Man, sometimes I just hate the “new,” soft economy we have and aesthetically yearn for the old, hard, industrial economy of yore. I guess that’s why I admire Elon Musk so much. He’s an entrepreneur but a throwback to a more industrial era, with his cars and trains and space ships.

charlie February 24, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I’ll have you know that paypal is a leading 21st payment platform.

J February 24, 2014 at 4:16 pm

I fully acknowledge that, but for the sake of my lament’s internal consistency I’m going to choose to lump payment systems in with a new way of doing an old trick (payments) like how electric cars are a new way of propelling an existing kind of car…or something.

Z February 24, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I must confess I think it would be fun to see the pizza guy attempting to deliver pizza on the highway to moving cars. Sort of a version of the Van Damme epic split ad.

Dan Weber February 24, 2014 at 3:50 pm

This is something straight out of Phineas and Ferb.

Mark February 24, 2014 at 3:58 pm

This makes sense, since in our glorious high tech service economy of the future, everyone is going to be hacking gypsy cabs or taking in lodgers in their hovels while they sleep in their cars. So cars will be especially convenient for receiving deliveries.

Max Factor February 24, 2014 at 4:03 pm

TC promised us trailers, not cars!

I will not settle for anything less than a 200sf shipping container.

JWatts February 24, 2014 at 4:18 pm

If it’s not drone delivery, it’s hopelessly archaic. Unless, it’s Passenger Pigeon, hoverboard or Zeppelin. Those are retro-futuristic.

Axa February 24, 2014 at 4:24 pm

This is good. Imagine the delivery guy spends time to find a parking place, walk and take the elevator to X floor to find you’re not at home…..instead of that, he can just open your car and leave the package. It’s a win-win. Delivery guy productivity rises, buyer receives the package at the first attempt.

Tununak February 24, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Imagine the fellow walking down the street behind the delivery guy breaking into your car and stealing the package. His productivity rises too.

Axa February 25, 2014 at 3:03 am

Not everyone lives and works in a third world neighborhood. Specially the mid-high income consumers.

Donald A. Coffin February 24, 2014 at 4:52 pm

And when will the NSA start accessing information about the location of your car, that’s what I want to know. (It’s not paranoia if they really are after you.)

Mark Thorson February 24, 2014 at 5:26 pm

They already have it.

anonymous February 24, 2014 at 6:28 pm

This might be directed more toward countries where to-the-door delivery of packages is relatively rare, e.g. Sweden (most packages are delivered to and collected from local shops, often convenience stores). OTOH, I assume that this is mostly to reduce labor costs, so I’m not sure how the to-the-car delivery is an attractive alternative from the point of view of the shipper.

Alternatively, perhaps it is directed to rural areas, where the residential population is sparsely distributed, but workers tend to come to central locations during the day for work? E.g. if homes are spread over a wide area, but almost everyone works at one of a few locations in town, then it might be more cost/fuel efficient. This would also be correlated with high rates of car ownership, compared with urban areas.

leftistconservative February 24, 2014 at 7:47 pm

CONSUME

Donald Pretari February 24, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Any chance they’ll expand that service to a Fanny Pack?

Sir Barken Hyena February 24, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Alexei Sadeski February 24, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I’m the first one to notice that TC forgot the TGS tag?

michael svehla February 25, 2014 at 8:34 am

So we are anticipating refrigerated trunks and a refrigerated designer box located at our curb, no miss delivery.

nike air max 95 March 13, 2014 at 4:26 am

Liu was one of the 31 migrant workers elected to the National People’s Congress last year. She is a foot masseuse in southeast China’s Xiamen City. A native of south China’s Anhui Province, Liu was a school dropout at the age of 14 and worked to support the schooling of her siblings.