Tuesday assorted links

by on August 26, 2014 at 12:45 pm in Uncategorized | Permalink

1. The FAA vs. model airplanes.

2. What it’s like to be in a plane crash.

3. Larry Summers on reading.

4. The eleven funniest papers in the history of economics?  How about that one that got published twice (identically) in the QJE?

5. Beware tall men.

6. Political diversity will improve social psychological science (pdf), coverage of that paper here.

affenkopf August 26, 2014 at 1:27 pm

4. There is nothing more annoying than a mildly funny (at best) person who thinks he’s hilarious.

dan1111 August 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Except maybe the FAA. But yeah, that was pretty bad.

dan1111 August 26, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Beware jokes of the form “Look: academics have a sense of humor, too!”

Andrew' August 26, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I would feel a lot better if I knew the FAA was joking.

Mitch Berkson August 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Don’t tell NPR.

Urso August 26, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I represent that remark

Andrew' August 27, 2014 at 6:18 am

I dislike humor in music. Go figure.

ummm August 26, 2014 at 1:41 pm

2. jammed rudders = death

engine failure is survivable

JasonL August 26, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I eagerly await the 11 best economics papers produced by Subway sandwich artists.

whatsthat August 26, 2014 at 2:18 pm

#5: what, shouldn’t this be in #4?

Jody August 26, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Furthermore, if #5 is in the realm of study for NBER, what would be beyond their scope?

PD Shaw August 26, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Plus, the closing line of the summary is a real cliffhanger: “at least one physical characteristic commonly associated with physical attraction influences the formation, functioning, and stability of longer-term relationships.”

What “one trick” is the secret to better relationships? Five dollars to the NBER and you too can find out!!!

Brian Donohue August 26, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Classic!

Mark Thorson August 26, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Just guessing, I’d say the nose. I find many otherwise attractive women have a nose I just can’t get past. Especially the Jewish nose both large and with that hump in the middle, but there are many very similarly unattractive noses among Germans, French, and Italians. Lots of English too, presumably due to interbreeding following the Norman conquest or perhaps much earlier with the Romans.

With regard to height, I’m curious whether the full paper discloses the height of the authors. If they’re short people, well of course they would follow a line of reasoning that leads to their putative conclusions. Short people are that way.

lambdaphage August 27, 2014 at 1:28 am
Brandon Berg August 27, 2014 at 8:01 am

Pretty sure they mean height. That is, this paper demonstrates at least one; there may be others, but only height was studied.

David Pinto August 26, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Short people do have a reason to live. :-)

BG August 26, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Classy. Hate & bigotry masquerading as a joke.

China Cat August 26, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I think Pinto expects us to be familiar with:
Which is not as funny as I Love L.A, you’re right.

Bill Kilgore August 26, 2014 at 8:53 pm

David Pinto, you hateful bigot. I hate you!!

Turkey Vulture August 26, 2014 at 2:55 pm

5’3″ bro checking in.

ff August 26, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I know who you are! I can’t believe you’d post here!

Alvin August 26, 2014 at 8:50 pm

So was my mom and dad…and I’m 6’1″. Dad’s side extremely malnourished growing up – so he should have been taller under normal circumstances – and mom’s side had relatively tall males.

Eric Falkenstein August 26, 2014 at 3:07 pm

McCulloch, J Huston, 1985. “On Heteros*edasticity,” Econometrica 53(2), 403.

pretty dry, but good insider humor. Here’s the start:

“The most pressing issue in econometric orthography today is whether heteros*edasticity should be spelled with a k or with a c.”

chuck martel August 26, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Numero Uno: The FAA, like every government agency, wants to control everything it can, including in this case every cubic centimeter of the atmosphere above the ground, without its role being completely defined.

rayward August 26, 2014 at 3:47 pm

4. Funny economists? Do they compete with Jewish baseball players? The supply far exceeds the demand and equilibrium is therefore impossible.

honkie please August 26, 2014 at 6:57 pm

5. Government employees enjoy free access to NBER papers; private-sector schmucks who pay their salaries do not.

Really? August 26, 2014 at 7:31 pm

2. Where was the crash? They had an emergency and handled it successfully.

The Other Jim August 27, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Nor did the article say much at all about “what it was like.”

Steve Sailer August 26, 2014 at 11:29 pm

I’m 6’4″ but I think all the female prejudice in favor of tall men is out of date. It used to be a sign a man had had adequate nurture when young, which is a good thing to look for in a mate. But now height is mostly nature, and having the genes for being tall are a mixed bag at best.

The Other Jim August 27, 2014 at 1:43 pm

No, it’s not out of date at all. Attractive women will only date men who are a few inches taller than them, and boy are the 5-foot-6 men pissed off about that.

RohanV August 27, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I think Steve means the logic behind the prejudice is out of date, not the prejudice itself.

Steve Sailer August 26, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Hollywood is less heightist than it used to be. Golden Age leading men averaged probably a couple of standard deviations above the mean (Wayne, Stewart, Cooper, Grant, etc.). Now, with the rest of the population getting taller, it’s probably more like one standard deviation.

andrew' August 27, 2014 at 5:50 am

But the biggest stars now are smallish dudes, Cruise, Wahlberg, Hardy, etc. Pitt, Clooney, Damon are average. Affleck and others a tad above. Is height good in the room but short good on screen? Drama kids selected out of sports? Coincidence?

Brandon Berg August 27, 2014 at 8:25 am

Just guessing, but I think it’s easier for short people to have a proportionally muscular figure. I’m not aware of any reason for a relationship between height and muscular cross-section in trained individuals. Scale a five-foot man and six-foot man to the same apparent height, and the short one should look bulkier.

joan August 27, 2014 at 1:03 am

#3 ¨I was much influenced by Charles Murray’s “Coming Apart” How can someone who sees the American people like this get an important policy making decisions in any administration let alone one that claims to support working class causes.

Andrew' August 27, 2014 at 6:00 am

I “support” my kids by helping them do things better. Sometimes I give them money. But my kid’s big problem is not a lack of resources.

Brandon Berg August 27, 2014 at 8:27 am

So…fifty years of anti-poverty policy based on the idea that the poor’s biggest problem is that they just haven’t been handed enough free money! How’s that working out? The poverty rate must be practically negative by now.

Ad Nauseum August 28, 2014 at 1:07 pm

#5. Athletes tend to be taller than average, and also tend to have a high divorce rate. Could that skew the numbers just a bit?