The smart wi-fi water pitcher

by on February 29, 2016 at 1:34 pm in Food and Drink, Science, Web/Tech | Permalink

The new pitcher, called the Brita Infinity pitcher, will be able to track how much water is flowing through the pitcher. When approximately 40 gallons of water have passed through the pitcher’s purification filter, the pitcher will then send a signal to the Dash Replenishment Service to reorder more filters.

The new Brita Infinity pitcher will sell on Amazon for $44.95. A three-pack of replacement filters costs between $15 and $20. Brita says the pitcher’s two lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries should last nearly five years, even if stored in a cold environment. You know, like your fridge. The pitcher holds up to eight cups of water, and is BPA-free.

Here is more, with a photo, via the excellent Samir Varma.

1 chrisare February 29, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Ah yes, entrust the company with ordering a replacement part from it for you.

2 yo February 29, 2016 at 3:12 pm

They probably noticed no one would do it, otherwise.

3 Meets February 29, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Tapwater for me.

But I like this amazion automatically sending you stuff idea

4 msgkings February 29, 2016 at 1:52 pm

My new HP inkjet printer will do this exact same thing for ink, auto-order when it gets low. TINGS?

5 jim jones February 29, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Most devices on the IOT phone home without your knowledge

6 anon February 29, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Things are getting smart that I’d prefer to stay dumb (a TV should be a display, that I consciously plug to devices, or not).

This Amazon thing is fine, in that Brita-heads are weird already.

7 Urso February 29, 2016 at 2:28 pm

This certainly solves a problem, but the problem it solves is Brita’s, not the consumers. Sunstein was far too optimistic regarding the effects of nudging.

8 Engineer March 1, 2016 at 5:25 am

Worse: most android apps demand access to your contacts and geolocation. Apple is far better in this respect.

9 anon March 1, 2016 at 6:34 am

Both systems expose what they are exposing, and you can choose the apps you like.

Strange to call out geolocation though. Thats tied to a long list of smart phone benefits. “Siri/Google find great pizza near me.”

10 Michael Foody February 29, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Using disposable consumer goods to solve ever smaller problems seems like a good long term strategy for innovation. We’ve been deep into diminishing returns ever since we got safe clean hot or cold water at home for practically no money by turning a knob. What’s stagnated isn’t technology, it’s technology’s ability to improve the quality of life of this particular primate. Once won’t starve or die of exposure and will probably live within 15 years of maximum lifespan of your species, might as well boil the earth in a doomed quest to outrun boredom with zero sum status competition.

11 Urso February 29, 2016 at 3:11 pm

no you see it orders the filter *for* you.

12 Steve Adams February 29, 2016 at 9:49 pm

🙂

13 Nathan W February 29, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Can’t wait until someone invents such a service in China, for standard water delivery (5 gallon jug in a dispenser). I have to call for water every few days.

14 mmm February 29, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Is it going to keep ordering a new 3 pack every time you’ve finished with one filter? Hope it’s a bit smarter than that.

15 prior_test1 March 1, 2016 at 10:43 am

‘Hope it’s a bit smarter than that.’

Brita’s hope is profit – want to guess where being smart fits into that?

16 Mark Thorson February 29, 2016 at 3:41 pm

My mother has a simple Britta filter pitcher, and I have to keep an eye on it for when algae starts to grow in there. That seems to be a simple enough problem to solve — like bacteriostatic plastic or light filters. I wonder how algae can grow in there if the filter is effective at removing impurities — algae needs certain elements like copper to grow. I’m suspicious whether the filter actually performs its job, even when replaced on schedule. If it did, it should not be possible for anything to grow in there.

17 sort_of_knowledgable February 29, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I’ve wondered the same thing about Mill-Q lab grade ultrapure water. You’re suppose to sterilize the tank with hydrogen peroxide before changing the filter, but there is suppose to be less than 1 ppb of sodium and chlorine, how was anything suppose to grow in there?

18 Mark Thorson February 29, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Maybe you’re walking past a Nobel-prize-winning discovery. When I was a student at UC-Berkeley, I heard that the white-haired old guy who hung out in the EE student lounge missed one of those. His team discovered negative resistance across a PN junction, and he mentioned it to a collegue. “Aw, your technician probably just took the data backwards.” Isaki won the Nobel for that one.

Certainly, there’s a carbon source, carbon dioxide from the air. There’s also trace metals from dust — the early work that demonstrated molybdenum is an essential micronutrient was performed in rodents raised on ultrapure food in dust-free cages. But you need energy too. And algae need copper for chlorophyll — that’s what makes chlorophyll green. Hard to see how you can get enough from dust, unless there’s a lot of it, in which case you’ve got other problems with your ultrapure lab water system.

19 carlolspln February 29, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Uh, Mark, chlorophyll is green because of the chlorin pigment.

& @ the centre of the chlorin pigment is a magnesium ion.

Not Cu.

20 Mark Thorson March 1, 2016 at 11:36 am

I stand corrected. I don’t know where I got the idea it’s copper. Probably because of the color.

21 Rick Snyder February 29, 2016 at 4:08 pm

I can see it now…an economic stimulus initiative mandating the purchase of devices that can auto-order replenishment supplies. As an added benefit, national security and personal safety will be enhanced by eliminating counterfiet substitutes. Let the lobbying commence!

22 Steve Sailer February 29, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Over the last 30 years, retailers have offloaded onto consumers a lot of their supply chain costs, such as inventory carrying costs. Costco is extraordinarily more efficient than an A&P supermarket in 1986, but, on the other hand, it’s not terribly convenient for me the shopper. Each time I bring the minivan home loaded with Costco goods, I know it will be a lengthy struggle to unload and then find enough space to store all the huge jars in my house. I often find that I already have three months supply of, say, Costco hamburger patties in my freezer so I shouldn’t have bought more.

Costco doesn’t make mistakes like this — they know exactly how much product they have and where it is in their supply chain at all times.

I’d like to have the same capabilities in my house.

23 Urso February 29, 2016 at 6:18 pm

It’s long been a dream of mine to live one block from a supermarket and just not have a pantry.

24 Nathan W February 29, 2016 at 11:20 pm

I’ve always prioritized living near a grocery store when looking for an apartment. 3-4 blocks is pretty easy is you have a small backpack – definitely worth it. Even at times when I’ve lived in rural-ish areas, same same.

25 dan1111 March 1, 2016 at 4:09 am

I live a few hundred feet from a grocery store. It is indeed nice. But even then, going without a pantry would involve spending way too much time at the store.

26 kimock February 29, 2016 at 11:25 pm

This brings to mind a study that was (I think) recently linked here on MR. A very large portion of economic growth in the 1980s and 1990s was driven by improvements in supply chain management. Why wouldn’t the so-called “Internet of Things” be different? The consumer gets the advantage of not worrying about the water filter, or whatever, as well.

27 carlolspln March 1, 2016 at 12:28 am

90% of these supply chain ‘savings’ flowed from WalMart [1990’s]; both from improved inventory management and from WM ‘eating retail’ in the USA.

“Why wouldn’t the so-called “Internet of Things” be different?”

Because that’s not what the IoT is concerned with: its about surveillance.

Of you.

28 dan1111 March 1, 2016 at 4:06 am

Steve, interesting point. But they aren’t really “offloading” their costs because the marginal cost to consumers of wrangling and storing the large boxes of stuff is zero or near zero. Costco would have to buy more warehouses and pay more workers to store the inventory and unload normal size packages onto shelves. But their customers have extra space in their homes, and the time spent unloading the boxes isn’t normally taking away from income generating activities.

29 Mark March 1, 2016 at 3:22 am

This pitcher may be smarter than the people who buy it.