Eleanor Rigby auction markets in everything

by on August 22, 2017 at 8:17 am in History, Music | Permalink

Certificate of purchase and receipt for grave space to be sold with miniature bible belonging to woman whose name was immortalised by McCartney

They are expected to sell for between £2,000 and £4,000.

They will go under the hammer alongside the original handwritten score for the song, which is expected to fetch £20,000.

The jar by the door, however, is not up for sale.  Via Ted Gioia.

1 prior_test3 August 22, 2017 at 8:32 am

And Father McKenzie’s unheard sermon?

2 dan1111 August 22, 2017 at 8:35 am

Priceless.

3 rayward August 22, 2017 at 8:59 am

“No one was saved.” I’m not sure McCartney understands the concept of the resurrection of the body. The columbarium would be the poor man’s (or woman’s) option. I attend an historic church in my low country community. There’s a graveyard that surrounds the church. It may be the most expensive real estate in a community with expensive real estate. But there’s a columbarium for those who wish to spend eternity next to the historic church. Me, I don’t like small spaces, and that includes elevators. I definitely don’t want to spend a long time in a box, including a tiny box placed in the columbarium. Of course, I wouldn’t know how long I would be in the box since I don’t know when when will be the Last Judgment and resurrection of (my) body. [I’m making a rather large assumption here.]

4 Ray Lopez August 22, 2017 at 9:01 am

Try cremation rayward, like a good Roman (but not Roman Catholic).

5 rayward August 22, 2017 at 9:07 am

To fit in the columbarium one must be cremated. That’s my choice. And it won’t have an adverse effect at the resurrection of the body, because it will be my most vigorous, healthy, handsome body that will rise up. Anyway, that’s what a priest told us at a funeral I attended a couple of years ago.

6 Bill August 22, 2017 at 9:12 am

I want a lock of Donald’s hair.

How much.

7 Dick the Butcher August 22, 2017 at 10:28 am

You could buy a MAGA mug.

I have my Trump lawn sign. How much?

8 Bill August 22, 2017 at 11:22 am

Better sell them quickly.

Prices have been dropping on eBay.

9 JWatts August 22, 2017 at 3:27 pm

You’ve been reading Paul Krugman’s column again, haven’t you?

10 Bill August 22, 2017 at 3:49 pm

No, not Krugman, just my own research.

I like doing a little market research as a hobby. I also use some publicly available Amazon data on Prime movie reviews and the the correlation between confederate flag purchases and Trump purchase material based on common reviewers, and the ratings given to each category by the purchaser/reviewer. What’s interesting is the spike in confederate flag purchases just before the last election based on the base rate of reviews, and whether a Trump supporter who bought Trump material and a Confederate flag also gave reviews on shotgun shell reloadsers and other gun related materials.

Short Trump memorabilia or sell yours quickly.

11 Judah Benjamin Hur August 22, 2017 at 11:30 pm

“The downside of this empirical research was that I kept getting offers from Amazon for Confederate Flags.”

That’s so funny. Amazon’s suggestions aren’t very useful. For some reason, they don’t factor in order history, just recent search history. They have to realize that people routinely use Amazon to search for non-purchase related information. Whatever one feels about the Confederacy, there are a lot more embarrassing product suggestions that Amazon can e-mail.

12 Judah Benjamin Hur August 22, 2017 at 9:57 am

Gee, I always felt bad for Eleanor Rigby and now I find out she was married and lived with family! Not exactly lonely, though she died far too young. Did she have any children?

From Wikipedia:

In the 1980s, a grave of an Eleanor Rigby was “discovered” in the graveyard of St Peter’s Parish Church in Woolton, Liverpool, and a few yards away from that, another tombstone with the last name “McKenzie” scrawled across it.[25][26] During their teenage years, McCartney and Lennon spent time sunbathing there, within earshot of where the two had met for the first time during a fete in 1957. Many years later, McCartney stated that the strange coincidence between reality and the lyrics could be a product of his subconscious (cryptomnesia), rather than being a meaningless fluke.[25]

An actual Eleanor Rigby was born on 29 August 1895 and lived in Liverpool, possibly in the suburb of Woolton, where she married a man named Thomas Woods on Boxing Day 1930. She died on 10 October 1939 of a brain haemorrhage at the age of 44 and was buried three days later. Regardless of whether this Eleanor was the inspiration for the song or not, her tombstone has become a landmark to Beatles fans visiting Liverpool. A digitised version was added to the 1995 music video for the Beatles’ reunion song “Free as a Bird”.

In June 1990, McCartney donated to Sunbeams Music Trust[27] a document dating from 1911 which had been signed by the 16-year-old Eleanor Rigby; this instantly attracted significant international interest from collectors because of the coincidental significance and provenance of the document.[28] The nearly 100-year-old document was sold at auction in November 2008 for £115,000.[29] The Daily Telegraph reported that the uncovered document “is a 97-year-old salary register from Liverpool City Hospital”. The name “E. Rigby” is printed on the register, and she is identified as a scullery maid. She also did many things for the Liverpool City Hospital.