1. Looking at the Billboard Top 20 for rap music, 59 brands have been mentioned 645 times in songs so far this year.
2. Very high end and very low end brands are the most popular mentions.
3. The top brand so far this year in rap songs is Hennessey, a kind of cognac. Cadillac comes in second.
4. Mercedes, a previous favorite, now has fallen behind Cadillac, Rolls-Royce, and Jaguar.
5. Autos, fashion, and beverages provide the brands most likely to be mentioned in rap songs.
6. Cristal, an extremely expensive champaigne, may be losing appeal because it is now so closely identified with hip-hop.
7. Polariod, in contrast, has benefited greatly from rap music. The product has been hurt by digital photography, but Outkast sang “Shake it like a Polaroid picture” in its hit “Hey Ya.”
That is all from the Mexican edition of the Miami Herald, August 26, sorry no link available from here. Agenda Inc., a San Francisco marketing firm, compiled the data.