1. Movies: Lots to choose from here, I’ll opt for Nicholas Roeg’s dreamy-erotic Walkabout (they actually let us gaze upon the naked Jenny Agutter in a 1977 NJ high school showing), or Jocelyn Moorhouse’s brilliant Proof.
2. Novel: Neither Peter Carey nor Patrick White clicks with me. How about David Malouf’s An Imaginary Life?
3. Book about: I remain a fan of Robert Hughes’s The Fatal Shore.
4. Music: Sorry mates, I’ve got to call this one a clunker. My desperation pick is Paul Kelly, here is a broader list to choose from. No need to write me about Crowded House or the other mostly mediocre indie bands from Down Under. If I can opt for a whole genre, my pick is didgeridoo music.
7. Disgusting culinary anecdote: I am told that in South Australia they take meat pies, turn them upside down, and add mushy peas and then ketchup. They call it a floater.