What I’ve been reading
1. Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and its Secret Past, by Giles Tremlett. An engaging survey of contemporary Spain.
2. Untapped: The Scramble for Africa’s Oil, by John Ghazvinian. Why Africa is even more messed up than you think; this book has lots of good economics.
3. Roberto Bolaño, The Savage Detectives. I’ve gone on about him before, but this newly translated work (the translation gets an A+) is one of the major Latin American novels of the twentieth century.
4. It’s enough to think you are exercising.
6. Thomas McNamee, Alice Waters and Chez Panisse. A good history of the restaurant, plus it makes you wonder what percent of the female population is motivated primarily by ***ual desire.