Facts about milk
1. Global milk prices have doubled over the last two years.
2. In some parts of the United States, milk is more expensive than gasoline.
3. There are reports of cows being stolen from Wisconsin dairy farms.
4. The rising demand for milk is coming mostly from developing nations; the average Chinese consumes six gallons of milk a year, up from two gallons in 2000. China is now the world’s leading milk importer.
5. Parts of New Zealand are booming.
6. Only 7 percent of all milk commercially produced is traded across national borders.
7. Sufficiently high (market-driven) milk prices may render many milk price supports and subsidies irrelevant.
Here is the article (NYT, permalink may be pending but not yet).