I don’t know this state very well, so I fear that this list is not, in fact, my favorite things from Maine. It is what I think are my favorite things from Maine:
1. Writer: The first five volumes of The Dark Tower are amazing plus I love The Stand and Misery and The Dead Zone. He’s not as good as Melville or Faulkner but few other American writers beat him.
3. Painter: Marsden Hartley, this one is atypical. There is also Andrew Wyeth, do you know the old saying "As usual, the truth lies somewhere in between"?
4. Poets: There is Longfellow, E.A. Robinson, and Edna St. Vincent-Millay, none of whom I much relate to but nonetheless I am impressed in the aggregate.
5. Best writer about spiders and swans: Duh.
6. Movie director: John Ford, with Stagecoach, The Searchers, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance as the classics.
7. Composer: Walter Piston is the only one I can think of, try this disc.
The bottom line: For an isolated, underpopulated state, this is a pretty awesome line-up. But hey, it’s cold up here!