1. Favorite Ray Charles song: "What’d I Say"; it’s heresy to admit this, but overall his stuff leaves me cold.
3. Big band arranger: Fletcher Henderson — does he deserve as much credit as Benny Goodman?
4. James Brown song: "Bewildered," and have you ever seen the videos of JB dancing on the T.A.M.I. show?
5. Favorite Otis Redding song: "Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)."
6. Best Little Richard cover: "Long Tall Sally," Beatles.
7. Favorite Gladys Knight song: Tough choice.
8. Fiction: Flannery O’Connor, Carson McCullers, Erskine Caldwell, and James Dickey are all candidates but none of them do it for me.
9. Movie, set in: Duh. Remember "Dueling Banjos"?
10. Favorite REM song: "Shaking Through," from Murmur, is a good pick.
11. Favorite Leo Kottke album: Six and Twelve String Guitar; this one changed my life.
12. Musician I’m not supposed to like: Tommy Roe; "Sweet Pea" and "Dizzy" still sound pretty good to me.
The bottom line: Awe. It’s Jasper Johns plus music, music, and more music, and I didn’t even have to think hard about the music. I’m sure I left plenty out.