1. The Enormity of the Tragedy, by Quim Monzó. Originally written in Catalan, this short novel is popular throughout Europe for its priapic good humor.
2. Imagining India, The Idea of a Renewed Nation, by Nandan Nilekani. An excellent study of the microeconomics of entrepreneurship in India; I thank Carl Schramm for the pointer.
3. Richard A. Posner, A Failure of Capitalism: The Crisis of '08 and the Descent into Depression.
4. The "hot hand" hypothesis is hurting, according to John Huizenga.
5. Bonsai, Alejandro Zambra, 83 pp., the next literary rage to come from Chile since Roberto Bolaño.