1. J.G. Ballard, Miracles of Life: Shanghai to Shepperton An Autobiography, self-recommending.
2. Robert L. Tignore, Egypt: A Short History. A good introduction and overview.
4. Steven Rattner, Overhaul: An Insider's Account of the Obama Administration's Emergency Rescue of the Auto Industry. An entertaining account of economic policy making inside the Obama administration.
5. Steve Hely, How I Became a Famous Novelist.
6. John Quiggin, Zombie Economics: How Dead Ideas Still Walk Among Us, reviewed by Arnold Kling.
7. Robert Ashley, Outside of Time. The story of his compositions, a new theory of drone, why American opera has failed (one syllable per note is a problem), and how he used his Tourette's to help him turn involuntary speech into music: "I spent years tinkering with my consciousness trying to reconcile the performer — legal and highly paid — with the person you cross the street to avoid."