Favorite popular music 2013
These are some favorites from some radically incomplete sampling, not a “best of” list:
1. Kanye West, Yeezus. His best album by quite a bit.
2. MBV, by My Bloody Valentine, there is a good short review here. If you had to ask who did better after a 20-year hiatus, Kevin Shields or Bobby Fischer, this is decisive evidence in favor of Shields. A totally unexpected renaissance.
3. Acid Rap, by Chance the Rapper, available on YouTube here.
4. Wed 21, by Juana Molina. Why isn’t she better known?
5. Matangi, by M.I.A. Her first album had enough posturing that I figured that was it, but by now she has compiled an impressive streak.
I am also starting to like Churches, Bones of What You Believe. My favorite jazz album of the year has been Charles Lloyd and Jason Moran, Hagar’s Song. I have more on order.