Sunday assorted links
1. Ross Douthat on meritocracy (NYT). And Caleb Watney on American innovation slowing (Atlantic).
2. Superspreading events. Very good piece.
3. “In 15 years, Guth has helped his 18 breeder members obtain near-monopolies on the world’s rarest parrots.”
4. What about single-strip testing yourself every day?
5. Parrondo’s paradox: how a combination of losing strategies (sometimes) can help you win. And an application to pandemics.
6. Too few low-wage jobs after Covid? And rolling 7-day averages for Covid deaths, worth checking that page regularly and don’t forget Sweden.