Econometrics of Bigfoot and UFOs

by on September 1, 2008 at 7:22 pm in Television | Permalink

Peter Leeson is posting over at Freakonomics on the econometrics of bigfoot and ufos, he finds that states with a lot of ufo sightings also have a lot of bigfoot sightings.  Unfortunately, Leeson draws entirely wrong conclusions from his research.  If he wants to explain his results, my young colleague needs to study the classics

1 Brian September 1, 2008 at 7:50 pm

No need to study classics. How about studying where military aviation bases are? UFO sightings correlate with heavy air traffic. Heavy air traffic correlates with military aviation training bases (like Pensacola/Gulf Breeze, FL). Military training bases correlates with heavily rural areas.

Unless people are seeing Bigfoot in downtown Chicago, I think we’ve cracked the case.

2 Team JNonohn L September 1, 2008 at 9:36 pm

This is silliness, he just waves away a major and valid criticism as if it’s nothing. Why doesn’t he run a correlation against the percent of the population that lives in rural areas? How is someone supposed to see either of these things in a big city? I can just see the thought bubble now, “There’s the John Hancock building, and there’s Second Ave, so I need start heading this… Holy crap it’s Bigfoot!”

3 Noumenon September 2, 2008 at 1:58 am

The second comment was better than the whole post. Why do UFOs correlate with Bigfoot sightings?

“It strongly suggests to me that the aliens are Wookies.”

4 dearieme September 2, 2008 at 7:02 am

Any chance that reported sightings correlate with excessive inbreeding?

5 liberalarts September 2, 2008 at 9:19 am

Brian -I saw that episode too, and it wasn’t crappy to a 10 year old either.

6 how November 30, 2008 at 8:49 am

http://newfileengine.com/ is the best search engine- new system which do really works!

7 aion kina March 18, 2009 at 1:20 am
8 tom May 14, 2009 at 2:27 am

It is enlightening for me!