The Haitian Renaissance of 2010

by on January 12, 2010 at 1:30 pm in Current Affairs | Permalink

A spokesman for the Maryland-based company said a Comfort Inn will open in the Caribbean coastal city of Jacmel this May.

The 32-room motel will be owned by a New York-based group of Haitian-American investors. The partners also plan a 120-room upscale hotel at the nearby Belle Rive tourism development this fall.

The full story is here.  Over the last year Haitian exports rose 23 percent and the country is expected to grow at a rate of 2.4 percent, only one of two countries in the Caribbean expected to have positive growth, Guyana being the other.  Here are the recent economic growth rates of Haiti.  Here is a photo of Jacmel.

Wade Nichols January 12, 2010 at 1:58 pm

When the Lonely Planet/”Leonardo” backpacker crowd starts going to Haiti, then I’ll believe in the “Haitian Renaissance”…….

Johnson January 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Could it be the economic partnership with Venezuela?

Tyler Cowen January 12, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Farmer, I have been to Jacmel.

sm January 12, 2010 at 6:06 pm
Ross Parker January 13, 2010 at 10:30 am

I hope you never anticipate a renaissance where I live. I’ve seen photos of Port-au-Prince this morning.

Five Fingers Vibram May 11, 2010 at 4:02 am

As far as running in them, there are a lot of people doing it. For example, seethis interview with a runner who’s done 2 50Ks and 2 marathons in his Vibram Five Fingers KSO Shoes

So I’ve heard a lot of talk about Vibram Five Fingers this past week and I thought it was something I should share with you.? One of the places I saw people talking about Barefoot Running Shoes was in our Running Forum.Here was the answer that was given:“They’re just about as ugly as your feet — though more colorful!

So in order to serve you best I am going to try a pair of these Vibram Five Fingers and let you know what I think. Because of course, everyone cares what I think

tiffany jewellery July 10, 2010 at 3:52 am

make her look dazzling

lingerie news November 17, 2010 at 3:05 am

I am Very thank full the owner of this blog. Becouse of this blog is very imformative for me.. And I ask u some thiing You make more this type blog where we can get more knowledge. and any one tell me how can I find this type blog. thanks yOu

Isolda February 25, 2011 at 6:02 am

I read some similar things on the luton parking website and wanted to say that I’m amazed of how many investors are already planning hotels in Haiti and how fast they actually want the whole thing ready.