A tale of Washington and Iowa and Libya

by on March 20, 2011 at 11:48 am in Current Affairs, Political Science | Permalink

Sunstein got in such an involved conversation with a voter that he left [Austan] Goolsbee and [Samantha] Power outside, shivering in the snow. The three joked that, between their three sprawling areas of expertise, they had almost any potential question about Obama covered. They failed at the first door, when a voter wanted to know the location of the nearest caucus.

Sunstein and Power, who is 39, soon went on a date, and she asked him if he ever fantasized about doing anything else. “I expected him to say he dreamed of playing for the Red Sox,” she told me. “His eyes got real big and he said: ‘Ooh! OIRA!’ ”

“And I said, ‘What the hell is that?’ ”

The article is here (beware Canadians, not worth the click!).  Here is a recent article on Samantha Power as the architect of Obama’s Libya policy.  Here is an article on why last chapters disappoint.

Andrew March 20, 2011 at 11:58 am

‘Architect’? ‘Policy’? Lob a bunch of cruise missiles over yonder. Okee dokee. Who am I to question these good and wise folks.

dirk March 20, 2011 at 12:07 pm

“The Times reported that “The change became possible, though, only after Mrs. Clinton joined Samantha Power, a senior aide at the National Security Council, and Susan Rice, Mr. Obama’s ambassador to the United Nations, who had been pressing the case for military action, according to senior administration officials speaking only on condition of anonymity.”

Ah! Warlike women. It all makes sense now. No logic, pure emotion. Bad means bad.

Nothing is more warlike than a consensus among women.

A. March 20, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Something tells me that in his dream job, the “libertarian” in libertarian paternalism would be quickly dropped in the interest of expediency.

anon March 20, 2011 at 12:46 pm

last lines also disappoint . In the article the last line refers to wood_ row . Who or what is that?

dth March 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm

But wait: wouldn’t Canadians still find the click worth it since links aren’t counted against the paywall?

Lewis March 20, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Will this blog start featuring a “the 20 articles worth your clicks” for NYT? Could get hot.

dearieme March 20, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Hold on: we are told that behavioural economics concerns behaviour, and then we read “Many of these estimates used data from surveys… that asked passers-by how much more they would need to be paid to take on a job that carried, for instance, a 1-in-10,000 risk of death.” So that’s that demolished, before our very eyes.

Peter March 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Sunstein and Power, who is 39, soon went on a date

Depending on how the date went, he’ll know about her, ahem, grooming habits. Though I have a pretty good guess :(

Yancey Ward March 20, 2011 at 2:31 pm

And she married him anyway.

A. has the correct prediction about libertarian paternalism and it’s adherents- see it all the time.

Bill March 20, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I am disappointed.

I assumed OIRA was some urban slang for some sex practice.

tkehler March 20, 2011 at 5:47 pm

‘Bill: I am disappointed.

I assumed OIRA was some urban slang for some sex practice.’

Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t, Bill… What? What?!? What are you looking at me for?

Elmira March 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Why is Samantha Power’s age relevant?

dirk March 20, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Because Roissy says so and this blog is powered by Roissy.

AnotherPhil March 21, 2011 at 12:16 am

“Why is Samantha Power’s age relevant?”

Because it betrays the principle commodity of this administration-inexperience.

Of course the exception is the VP, but his experience shows a depth of being wrong and indiscrete.

Six Ounces March 21, 2011 at 1:26 am

Sunstein actually meant the Official Irish Republican Army.

Andrew March 21, 2011 at 5:49 am

“Why is Samantha Power’s age relevant?”

I recently wondered why they almost always give a person’s age (both male and female) in such articles.

Yancey Ward March 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm

For purposes of disambiguation?

anonygoat March 21, 2011 at 9:37 am
Chris March 21, 2011 at 5:53 pm

The last chapters bit reminded me of Jared Diamond’s Collapse. Uncanny.