Interview with Edward Luttwak on geopolitics

by on October 21, 2011 at 5:06 am in History, Political Science | Permalink

It is interesting throughout, for instance:

There is a good measure of social control in Iran, and that is the price of genuine imported Scotch whiskey in Tehran, because it’s a) forbidden, and b) has to be smuggled in for practical purposes from Dubai, and the only way it can come from Dubai is with the cooperation of the Revolutionary Guard. The price of whiskey has been declining for years, and you go to a party in north Tehran now and you get lots of whiskey. And it’s only slightly more expensive than in Northwest Washington.

But on the other hand, the regime is doing something for which they will have my undying gratitude—that is, they have been manufacturing the one and only post-Islamic society. They created a situation in which Iranians in general, worldwide, not only in Iran, are disaffiliated. They are converting Muslim Iranians into post-Muslim Iranians.

The pointer comes from Steve Sailer.

1 Adrian Ratnapala October 21, 2011 at 5:49 am

When I read Tocqueville, I was struck by how his description of early Massachusetts reminded me of Iran.

2 derek October 21, 2011 at 11:46 am

Heck, Quebec Canada in the 50’s before the quiet revolution. I was there in the 70’s in an off the beaten path town and the power of the church over people’s lives was astounding. Now Quebec has the highest rate of abortion and lowest rate of marriage in Canada.

3 anonymous October 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm

The Quiet Revolution was in the Sixties. Your anecdote makes no sense if it’s about the 70s, by then the transformation was a done deal.

4 dearieme October 21, 2011 at 6:49 am

“Scotch whiskey”: there ain’t no such thing – it’s whisky.

5 charlie October 21, 2011 at 7:13 am

I love how he reduces strategic thinking to basically being jewish and contrarian. NIce twist.

The enemy of my enemy is also my enemy.

6 Jamie_NYC October 21, 2011 at 8:24 am

Hmm, Steve Sailer’s name is hot hyperlinked… He doesn’t have a blog, or something?

7 Robbie October 21, 2011 at 11:56 am

Lots of alcohol is smuggled into Iran from the north via Turkey and Iraq http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7963647.stm

8 TallDave October 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm

When the end comes, it will be swift

9 Jim October 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Oh look another guy with an opinion about international affairs. And he hand waves like God himself is speaking. I am amazed that people like Luttwak and Kissinger can build reputations when their political analysis cannot be tested in controlled environments.