Markets in everything, Friday cat blogging edition

by on February 24, 2012 at 11:59 am in Economics | Permalink

Jordana Serebrenik may be New York City’s only for-hire pet-cat catcher. Her service, Catch Your Cat, Etc., does what it suggests: Ms. Serebrenik, a Murray Hill resident, will go to your home and corral your cat in situations when you cannot do so or prefer not to.

Her clients range from the old or physically impaired to those distraught at the idea of having to force their cat to go somewhere they do not want to go: the vet, for example.

“Some people just need someone who isn’t emotionally attached,” Ms. Serebrenik said.

Her business card — which asks, “Can’t get Fluffy into a carrier?” — is in veterinarians’ waiting rooms and pet supply stores around the city. Testimonials on her Facebook page are effusive.

A catch goes for about $80, and the video at the beginning is good.  Here is more, and for the pointer I thank Richard Herron.

Adrian Ratnapala February 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm

She should start a management consultancy. Many companies would pay good money for a capable catherd.

TheCrankyProfessor February 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm

win!

Rahul February 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm

How about training a herding dog to do this? Win-win situation?

Urso February 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm

There were similar services available in the UK back in the 70s.

Chuck Rudd February 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Cat Nips

The Cat’s *In* the Bag

TallDave February 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I have two Burmese. If I even just happen to bump into their carrier, they will sit in it the rest of the day, apparently hoping we will take them somewhere.

Patricia Mathews February 24, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I wish she were on call in Albuquerque! Though if I hired her to bag Buster (tuxedo cat, “he’s a 25-pounder, or I am a bounder, and he’s putting on weight every day!”), I’d expect to pay triple rates – so she could afford the plate armor needed to protect herself!