From Neil Armstrong

by on August 26, 2012 at 7:13 am in History, Science | Permalink

And this:

I guess we all like to be recognized not for one piece of fireworks, but for the ledger of our daily work.

And finally:

I was elated, ecstatic and extremely surprised that we were successful.

There are more Armstrong quotations here.

JL August 26, 2012 at 8:27 am

Reminds me of this great Mitchell & Webb skit.

Literary August 26, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I dined last night with a women who knew him. She described him as affable, but “having no small talk. You had to give him something to talk about.” She reports that she once asked him what he thought the greatest invention of the 20st century was. He answered, “the credit card.”

Tim August 27, 2012 at 1:13 am

Like Christopher Columbus, Armstrong’s accomplishment served the political interests of his funding sources, not scientific ones. If he didn’t realize that, is that why he may have expected more “achievement” during his lifetime?

Ignacio August 27, 2012 at 11:56 am

“I fully expected that, by the end of the century, we would have achieved substantially more than we actually did.”

I wonder if this quote was also uttered by one of the builders of the last of the great pyramids of ancient Egypt.

SL August 27, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Yes, we were on the cusp of many great things in the 70′s, but then the “conservatives” (reactionaries really) prevailed. Just think of all the possibilities with green energy if US invested in it, instead of stripping off solar batteries from the White House and doubling down on oil as St. Ronnie and his progeny did.

Roy August 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Oh the dams we could have built, there are whole sections of rivers not dammed. That evil Reactionary Reagan prevented The Dos Rios Dam fom being built, it’s been all downhill from there.

SL August 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

“The share of electricity produced from renewable energy in Germany has increased from 6.3 percent of the national total in 2000 to about 25 percent in the first half of 2012.”

“Renewable energy in the United States accounted for 14.3 percent of the domestically produced electricity in the first six months of 2011.”

Wikipedia.