Arrived in my pile

by on February 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm in Books, History, Political Science | Permalink

Coolidge, by Amity Shlaes, and

Thomas O. McGarity, Freedom to Harm: The Lasting Legacy of the Laissez Faire Revival.

Perhaps these two authors have some disagreements with each other…

Dismalist February 15, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Ad Freedom to Harm: Just read the blurb, which can’t be real.

Capitalism has saved us from the idiocy of village life. Capitalism has freed women from perpetual pregnancy. Capitalism has led to the abolition of slavery. Capitalism has ended child labor. Capitalism has given us more economic possibilities than our grandparents ever could imagine. And, as a bonus, we have indoor plumbing!

Need I go on?

john personna February 15, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Having not read the book, I realize that the author of “Freedom to Harm” may indulge in false dichotomy, but surely another is not the best answer to him. Market democracies have tried to tune the balance. Slogans pretend a purity which has never actually existed.

john personna February 15, 2013 at 8:11 pm

(I do believe for example that indoor plumbing and public safety advanced, in regulations following the London plagues.)

maguro February 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Speaking of false dichotomies, who argues that pre-1665 London represents the ideal approach to sanitation laws?

Vernunft February 15, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I have a suggestion for what the slaver can do off.

Anon. February 15, 2013 at 6:31 pm

“the underlying laissez faire ideology and practice that continues to dominate the American political economy”

I mean…I don’t…but…just…what?

What is this guy smoking?

Matt C February 17, 2013 at 12:32 am

> I mean…I don’t…but…just…what?

My thoughts exactly.

Silas Barta February 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Thanks for consistently disclosing when you get free gifts from publishers, Tyler_Cowen.

Andrew' February 17, 2013 at 11:35 am

Maybe the behavioral economists would say they need to disclose the ones they paid for.

Tyler Cowen February 15, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Amity’s book I bought, the other was a review copy…

byomtov February 15, 2013 at 8:02 pm

You bought a book by Amity Shlaes???

Ed February 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm

A heretic, banish him! She remains in the realm of the Unread

byomtov February 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Who’s the heretic? Certainly not Shlaes, who is a pretty standard issue orthodox right-wing hack.

Hazel Meade February 17, 2013 at 9:44 pm

The most annoying of the misunderstandings of libertarian economic policy.
As if liability and property rights would cease to exist, and contracts would no longer be enforced.
In a perfect libertarian universe, all legitimate harms (excluding the “harm” of not having things given to you for free), would be addressed via civil liability and contract law.

The problem is that some people think they are entitled to certain things, and consider it a harm if they don’t get them.