Calgary notes

by on March 11, 2013 at 2:49 pm in Current Affairs, Travel, Travels, Uncategorized | Permalink

They refer to themselves as Calgarians, which makes them sound more closely related to science fiction than in fact they are.  On Saturday I walked around in a sweater only.  In the span of little more than an hour, I was told numerous times that Calgary and southern Alberta have more U.S. citizens living there than any other region in the world.

Canada just had a very good job creation month.  About a third of the Albertan provincial budget comes from resource revenue, and bitumen prices have been falling, leading to some tough fiscal choices.

The city has elected a Muslim mayor.

On Snowquester virtually all flights out of DC were cancelled, even though Reagan National Airport had literally no snow.  Only Air Canada was flying a normal schedule and thus I arrived.

There are some excellent food choices in Calgary, although it is a city for ordering main courses, not appetizers.

There is no good reason to turn down a trip to Calgary, even in the winter.

anon March 11, 2013 at 3:29 pm

So, no beautiful women?

Simon March 11, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Tyler didn’t say anything about the dessert.

Dan Weber March 11, 2013 at 4:21 pm

But he did say he was walking around in only a sweater.

CC March 11, 2013 at 7:26 pm

+1. You guys crack me up.

Garth Wood March 13, 2013 at 11:30 am

Sorry, my wife’s taken. ;-)

Kent Guida March 11, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Well, I’ve been there several times in mid-winter, and if I had a chance, I would find a good reason for turning down another such trip. Not sweater weather, in my experience. Book me for August.

Jack P. March 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Winter is generally very cold, but no more than in most of Canada. The proximity to the Rockies should make it appealing to outdoors-types, and in winter of course there is ski.

Nick_L March 11, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Hopefully, Tyler didn’t have to pay for parking. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/calgarys-parking-spots-the-priciest/article4277468/ . You have to wonder why..

Charlie March 11, 2013 at 5:29 pm

It’s not a surprise. A great deal of employment is concentrated in the downtown, with limited parking spaces and a small geographic footprint. Supply and demand. You can easily pay over $500/month. I choose to ride a bicycle – faster, cheaper, and more fun.

Yannai March 12, 2013 at 11:02 am

It’s not just the concentrated downtown employment and car-centric suburban sprawl. The city ‘urban planners’ capped the number of parking spots permitted for new downtown construction for decades in an attempt to increase transit ridership. Unfortunately, due to major system design flaws (including ground-level trains that run through downtown) there is a practical limit to the light rail capacity and public transport is not a viable option for many people as the system is significantly overburdened during the rush hour (and the much of suburban bus service is absolutely terrible of-peak).

A. March 12, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Hey Mr. S. Didn’t know that you read this blog.

Brian Moore March 11, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Last time I was there, I definitely enjoyed this restaurant: http://www.river-cafe.com/ on Prince’s Island (Park).

Rob Huck March 11, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Great town. Used to live there. Attitudes were different, less reliant on government for solutions, more supportive of private sector. Very young, professional demographic.

And, yes, very beautiful women. Met my wife there!

Zed March 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm

For winter activities: Banff and skiing
For summer activities: Stampede and Prince’s Island Park
For cuisine: Calgary is also the birthplace of ginger beef and the Caesar (a Bloody Mary with Clamato, as opposed to tomato, juice).
Music: Feist, Jann Arden and Tegan and Sara Quin. (Also check out Chad VanGaalen.)
Actor: Tommy Chong

Adam Calhoun March 11, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Fun fact: My great-grandfather was the first librarian in Calgary – and, obviously, head of the library system for a long while – and there is a library there named after him. I once visited and it is hideously ugly.

K. March 11, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Calgary electing a Muslim mayor isn’t really a big deal for Canadians, even if he is the first one in Canada. I think that’s one of the most telling differences between the US and Canada – we just don’t care.

Chip March 11, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Don’t make me laugh. Canadians are exceedingly PC. We care about race and religion obsessively.

It’s why human rights commissions across the country fine and ban citizens for saying the wrong thing, not for breaking the law.

The truth is no defense before these commissions by the way, because we care so much.

Bartman March 12, 2013 at 12:03 am

The HRCs are basically anti-assholery commissions. Which is a good thing. And, seriously, just about nobody gives a damn that Nenshi is a muslim. It’s not really relevant to how he does his job.

Chip March 12, 2013 at 7:00 am

So you don’t give a damn but assholes need to be fined and banned by a commission that says the truth is no defense before them?

Gotcha.

Marian Kechlibar March 14, 2013 at 8:27 am

Suppression of speech is never a good thing in my world.

Also, a country where one has to look carefully over his shoulder before telling an “incorrect” joke has a Stasi-like component, like it or not.

David Zetland March 12, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I was going to say that you’d never see that in Texas, but Houston has a lesbian mayor. So, maybe potholes are more relevant than prayer rugs (etc.)

John Brennan March 11, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Reason–opportunity costs.

BigHak March 11, 2013 at 8:23 pm

> On Saturday I walked around in a sweater only.
> There is no good reason to turn down a trip to Calgary, even in the winter

This is nonsense. You went on a day of abnormal weather and you generalize it to all winter. Calgary like all cities in this area have harsh and punishing winter, especially to the clueless foreigner who arrives unpreparef (Tennis shoes, no winter coat, etc)

Dr. D. March 11, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Depends on which way the wind is blowing, from the west (Chinook winds) – tolerable. From the North, better stay indoors and move through the hamster tunnels.

Careless March 11, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Also, it’s spring.

AD March 12, 2013 at 12:52 am

Canadian Spring = New England winter, with less snow.

Garth Wood March 13, 2013 at 11:27 am

It’s not “nonsense.” Calgary’s weather is highly variable in the winter, due to our close proximity to the Rocks. Chinooks can last days or even weeks — Hell, last winter was one big soft chinook for several months, as I recall… Now, when I first moved here (mid-Oughts) we had several winters where the February temperatures dipped to -33° Celsius (-27° Fahrenheit) overnight for longer than a week, with 60 km/h winds from the east thrown in for good measure. Those were cold &mdash too many times, I remember taking my dog outside to poop at 2 AM during one of those cold snaps…

Garth Wood March 13, 2013 at 11:29 am

Neither a preview nor an edit function. Bummer.

Pub Editor March 12, 2013 at 9:56 am

Moreover, Calgary is about 1.5 hours northwest of Vulcan.

Garth Wood March 13, 2013 at 11:28 am

Cool little town with an excellent sense of humour about itself — the giant starship replica as you enter from the north side is lots of fun.

David H March 12, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Although these will not follow the Atlantic article, Six Rules for Dining Out:
Breakfast @ Avenue Diner on Stephen Ave
Dinner @ Brava Bistro on 17th Ave SW
Pizza and lighter plates @ UNA Pizza and Wine on 17th Ave SW
Cupcakes @ Crave Cupcake on Kensington
Milkshakes & Burgers @ Peters Drive-in on 16th Ave NE

If you do want to go hunting for ethnic restaurants in strip malls, head east on 16th Ave NE or 17th Ave SE. I don’t imagine you will find Ethiopean as good as Rome though.

Beans March 14, 2013 at 12:22 am

I wish you would have hit me up. I’m confident I could’ve shown you more of the sights.

In any case, I’m glad you enjoyed the trip.