*Storyline*, by The Washington Post

by on July 22, 2014 at 7:44 am in Current Affairs, Economics | Permalink

From my email:

The Washington Post today launches ‘Storyline’, a new digital initiative led by economics writer Jim Tankersley examining how U.S. public policy is affecting the lives of Americans across the nation. Storyline will feature a mix of narrative writing, data journalism and visual storytelling to explore big questions like: who’s being lifted by the economic recovery, and who’s left waiting for it to kick in? How are Americans adapting to life under Washington’s immigration deadlock?

1 Steve Sailer July 22, 2014 at 8:03 am

“How are Americans adapting to lift under Washington’s immigration deadlock?”

Off to a strong start …

2 The Engineer July 22, 2014 at 8:05 am

It’s hard our here for a pimp, but you keep a stiff lip (or something) and carry on.

3 Steve Sailer July 22, 2014 at 8:08 am

Here would be a good subject for data journalism: How much have misspellings increased due to auto-correct spellcheckers?

4 The Other Jim July 22, 2014 at 8:18 am

I was going to say you beat me to it, but apparently you are just mocking the brilliant grammar.

My point is that if you are going to refer to hordes of illegal alien children swarming unaccompanied over the open southern border as “immigration deadlock” then you might as well just stay home all day and let the grown-ups talk.

5 Just Another MR Commodore July 22, 2014 at 8:38 am

One growing concern I hear little about is the Northern border. We concentrate so much on the influx of immigrants from Mexico but no one seems to care about hordes of immigrants sneaking via Whitehorse, onto Anchorage and finally by steamer into Seattle and then across the lower 48. This is why I find it difficult to take seriously these American complaints about too many immigrants. It’s just really a complaint about one certain type.

6 Careless July 22, 2014 at 10:54 am

Like maple syrup, Canada’s evil oozes over the United States. The Canadians: they walk among us

7 Steve Sailer July 22, 2014 at 8:41 am

I read a couple of their pieces on fertility, but they weren’t very good. The foremost aspect of the fall in fertility since 2007 is the very sharp decline in Hispanic fertility, which appears to be a product of the sharp decline in immigration from Mexico because newly arrived women have lots of babies and only later realize they can’t afford them. But I didn’t see anything about ethnicity mentioned.

In general, political correctness has dumbed us down badly, so it’s kind of hopeless for these sites like Vox, Upshot, and Storyline to try to be intelligent about important topics but without saying anything that could get the mobs of social media morons mad at them.

You’ve got to choose.

8 Brian Donohue July 22, 2014 at 11:05 am

Yeah, but it’s not just a choice between ‘not noticing’ and ‘frothing nativist’.

My aunt tells a charming story of my (Irish) grandfather trotting out a string of nice Irish lads for her to marry. Meanwhile, several blocks away, her (Polish) boyfriend was getting a similar treatment from his mom. Needless to say, it didn’t work.

These people weren’t aliens or irredeemable bigots that needed serious re-education- they were just people, good people, better people than our modern guardians of virtue.

I read Ethnic America by Thomas Sowell decades ago, before the topic was verboten. I believe Sowell lays out a ‘third way’ of talking about these issues without being repulsive bigots.

Steve, you are usually polite and circumspect, but I suspect you smile impishly when the nativists go all over the top here. In short, I don’t trust you.

9 msgkings July 22, 2014 at 2:07 pm

+1 to Brian, good post.

10 China Cat July 23, 2014 at 9:48 am

Your repulsion is your own, Brian. I’ve not been put off by any expressions of nativist sentiment.

Thanks for sharing your charming story involving your aunt and uncle, who are both white. Cute.

11 msgkings July 23, 2014 at 12:15 pm

-1 to China Cat, bad post.

12 Better than Ezra July 22, 2014 at 8:05 am

So it’s basically like Vox without the high salaries.

13 (Not That) Bill O'Reilly July 22, 2014 at 9:34 am

And hopefully also none of the smarmy self-importance.

14 Just Another MR Commentor July 22, 2014 at 9:35 am

Smarmy Self Importance is what sells copy my boy!

15 Steve Sailer July 22, 2014 at 8:06 am

How many people really want “data journalism?” It seems to me that most people just want to be able to say My Side Is Going to Win Because Numbers. I read FiveThirtyEight.com most days and enjoy it, but it doesn’t appear very popular now that Nate Silver doesn’t have all that much good news for the Democrats to report.

16 Just Another MR Commentor July 22, 2014 at 8:15 am

I like FiveThirtyEight because it’s like a sports site for people who don’t watch sports

17 Just Another MR Commodore July 22, 2014 at 8:16 am

And I like it because it’s like watching sports for people who don’t read sports sites.

Two great tastes that taste great together.

18 Z July 22, 2014 at 10:13 am

I suspect Nate is in a bit of a quandary. He’s a smart enough guy to know that he will be given the full apostate treatment if he starts issuing bad news to the faithful about the fall election. If he hides under his bed, he can easily fall out of fashion entirely. It’s a shame because I was looking forward to him using his maths to tell his co-religionists they were no longer the prettiest pennies in the pile.

19 Just Another MR Commentor July 22, 2014 at 10:17 am

Yeah yeah… If I had a Nickle everytime someone told me I wasn’t a pretty Penny…

20 The Anti-Gnostic July 22, 2014 at 9:11 am

Nobody will mow my lawn for less than $7 an hour!” [curses Washington’s immigration lockdown–bursts into tears]

“My wife can’t even find a cheap nail salon!” [angrily punches hole in sheetrock, angrily punches another when realizes sheetrock hangers charging $10/hr]

“Organic red leaf lettuce is three-fifty a head! What am I supposed to do–starve?!” [goes outside, starves]

21 Just Another MR Commentor July 22, 2014 at 9:35 am

As long as Chulupa prices stay flat all is well

22 Yancey Ward July 22, 2014 at 10:49 am

Winner!!!

23 Ray Lopez July 22, 2014 at 10:02 am

It seems that Storyline will suffer the same fate as economics and the Representative Man: how do you pick a representative American for this series? You cannot, so it becomes as scripted as so-called Reality TV.

24 Z July 22, 2014 at 10:10 am

“Storyline will feature a mix of narrative writing, data journalism and visual storytelling to explore big questions”

How is that different from mainstream journalism as practiced for the last fifty years? The NYTimes is all narrative writing, all the time.

I do wonder if we have reached peak fake nerd. The Left has been desperately slapping the words “science” and “data” on all of the bibles for a while now. It’s starting to feel a little saturated to me. How many fake nerd sites preaching the old time progressive faith do we really need?

25 Just Another MR Commentor July 22, 2014 at 10:21 am

I’m not sure about that but I have a feeling we HAVE reached peak cranky old man

26 Careless July 22, 2014 at 1:44 pm

With the Baby Boomers just approaching old age?

27 Jeff July 22, 2014 at 10:38 am

I think some of it is just marketing. The kids don’t read the Washington Post anymore, and so its brand means little to them. But repackage the same content as something new, hipper, smarter, tech-savvier, etc, and maybe you rope in some new readers for the first time in a quarter century or so.

28 The Anti-Gnostic July 22, 2014 at 10:54 am

That’s all it is, because the actual bounds of permissible inquiry for “cutting-edge, insightful” journalism are rather narrow.

29 Z July 22, 2014 at 12:32 pm

No doubt. It’s like how every news reader now has a laptop in front of them. It’s all signaling.

30 msgkings July 22, 2014 at 2:55 pm

‘Twas always thus. Same thing having a bunch of clocks from world time zones behind Walter Cronkite’s head…signalling “You are watching something important”. It’s TV.

31 R Richard Schweitzer July 22, 2014 at 10:47 am

Another effort at establishing anecdotal situations or events as factual evidence. See, your chosen TV news.

32 Carola Binder July 23, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I wrote a related post on my blog: “Yellen’s Storyline Strategy” at http://carolabinder.blogspot.com/2014/07/yellens-storyline-strategy.html