Valentine’s Day Economics

by on February 9, 2016 at 7:23 am in Economics, Education | Permalink

With Valentine’s Day fast approaching, it’s a good opportunity to think about all those roses and how the market process brings them to our door.

Our Principles of Microeconomics course at MRUniversity has two videos on this theme beginning with I, Rose and followed up with the the classic, A Price is a Signal Wrapped up in an Incentive.

We have also created a Lecture Plan that offers some fun ideas for teaching economics around Valentine’s Day.

1 Moreno Klaus February 9, 2016 at 8:35 am

I was wondering does it make economic sense to buy flowers for girl(s)?

2 jim jones February 9, 2016 at 10:21 am

Women are solipsistic, they will take all you have and still want more

3 Heorogar February 9, 2016 at 10:55 am

Well said.

When the wife is happy, the wife is happy. When she’s miserable, I’m miserable.

After 37 years (three of the best weeks of my life) the wife and I are past flowers. I stopped that silliness after she counted the dozen roses and found it one short.

4 Thiago Ribeiro February 9, 2016 at 10:51 am

It is cheaper than buying diamonds, I guess.

5 Moreno Klaus February 9, 2016 at 12:04 pm

That wouldnt even cross my mind, even if the woman was called Gisele Bundchen, or she if won a Miss Bunda contest.

6 Dmitri Helios February 9, 2016 at 12:09 pm

That’s the Low per capita GDP of Europe talking.

7 Hazel Meade February 9, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I suspect that the habit of buying jewelry started because gold and gems are reliable stores of value. Especially jewlery, you literally wear it around your neck, so it’s pretty safe, and you have it on you when you need to flee, and it doesn’t occupy a hand. And the extra jewlery takes up little space and weighs little.

If you live in a time and place where the currency is unreliable and you might need to run away with only the belongings you can carry, then it makes a lot ot economic sense to purchase diamond necklaces for your wife.

8 Thiago Ribeiro February 9, 2016 at 4:04 pm

“That wouldnt even cross my mind.”
Neither mine, abundant supply keeps the price low. Regarding beautiful women, and maybe only regarding beautiful women, we have to deal with the “embarassment of riches” and accept the challenges of an “affluent society”, the lonely (but in good company) superpower even..

9 Hazel Meade February 9, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Does it make economic sense to buy flowrers?

10 Thiago Ribeiro February 9, 2016 at 10:49 am

I thought “I, Rosie” was Asimov’s book about the Jetsons’ robot maid.

11 dearieme February 9, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I give a wide berth to anything described by “fun” as an adjective.

12 msgkings February 9, 2016 at 2:48 pm

This is not a surprise.

13 Todd Kreider February 11, 2016 at 12:37 am

Yet one more great video.

As the economist’s joke goes: “Of course I bought my fiancee a fake diamond engagement ring. If she truly loves me, she will never have the glass appraised.”