Mahjong as signaling the culture that is Japan who needs higher ed?

by on June 28, 2016 at 11:31 am in Economics, Education, Games | Permalink

Fifty Japanese graduates opted to gamble with their job prospects at a mahjong tournament set up by recruiters looking for a different way to find the next high flyer.

Held in a crammed mahjong outlet in downtown Tokyo, prospects competed against each other on Friday (June 24) to gain the chance to face recruiters from six companies in the fitness, education, technology and real estate sectors.

“Mahjong is a very strategic game, so I think people who are good at it would be good at marketing. This is a new approach and I find it really interesting,” candidate Tomoko Hasegawa, who is aspiring to become a designer, told Reuters.

Here is more, via Edward Craig.

1 Maybe it's me but... June 28, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I think two wrongs equal two wrongs. Sorry but it’s just the way I feel…

2 dearieme June 28, 2016 at 1:22 pm

I used to know a chap who recruited trainee actuaries from the circle of good, young players of Bridge. It seemed to work pretty well.

3 Aaron Aardvark June 28, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Did a robot win?

4 Richard Harper June 28, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Bankers Trust was hiring chess masters in the 1990’s, but then there were those racketeering charges. In chapter one of Liar’s Poker Michael Lewis describes the skill set at Goldman Sachs as being similar to the game. .. and then they had some problems there too. I once did some house-sitting where there was very clever dog. The house owners warned me before they left that the border collie was so smart it would probably find ways of getting into trouble I would not anticipate. I didn’t have any trouble but only because I stayed vigilant. I’m sure managing herds of clever bond traders would have been far too much. #Understatement

5 Rich Berger June 28, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Wait; shouldn’t this be the culture of old Jewish ladies?

6 mah June 28, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Mahjong shows the skill of passing money under the table. But the Japanese got it wrong. It is the require skill of the spouse.

7 carlolspln June 28, 2016 at 11:51 pm

“Mahjong is a very strategic game, so I think people who are good at it would be good at marketing”

Chuckle du jour.