Where to eat in Lagos, Nigeria

by on January 1, 2017 at 4:30 am in Food and Drink, Travel | Permalink

Much of the food is good but not excellent.  For the very best, I recommend two places in particular:

The Yellow Chilli: All the dishes seem to be quite good, but arguably the jollof rice and the seafood okra are standouts.  Simply coming here for each meal probably beats doing a lot of search that will fail to find equal quality.

Sappor Cuisine: That’s if you are looking for street food and eating on the run.  It’s set in Freedom Park (worth visiting in any case), just get the weird Nigerian dishes you’ve never heard of before, plus some fish.  I’ve had four dishes there, and with not the slightest rumble in my stomach, in case you were wondering.  You might not think that steamed yam powder can be transcendently good, but it is.  At night there are worthwhile concerts in the park, so you can eat from here while you sit and listen.  The best suya I had was on the beach.

1 christian January 1, 2017 at 5:20 am

What, no Mr Bigg’s?

2 prior_test2 January 1, 2017 at 6:09 am

Is fufu too pedestrian to mention? Though considering that it has variations, and that soup and fufu seem to be a normal West African variation, possibly the lack of time is a problem. Though maybe eating with fingers is just not something an economist wanting to get lunch is interested in.

It would help keep down the stomach rumbling, one supposes.

3 Lon January 2, 2017 at 11:04 am

“…if you are looking for street food ”

Standard tourist advice for Nigeria is to strictly avoid street-vendor food.
Nigeria food sanitation & hygiene conditions are very poor generally.

Exactly what type of restaurants is TC frequenting to have (thus far) completely avoided the ‘stomach rumble’ ? Western style tourist hotels/restaurants in Lagos are probably fairly clean and safe, comparatively.

4 Keith January 1, 2017 at 9:56 am

Just curious, do they have international fast food chains?

5 prior_test2 January 1, 2017 at 9:57 am

The truly burning question is, do they have suburban strip malls?

6 Ray Lopez January 1, 2017 at 11:39 am

Strip malls? Where people get naked? And how does TC avoid traveler’s diarrhea?

7 Ed January 2, 2017 at 3:43 pm

They have KFC. Kentucky Fried has been present in Africa since 1971. Lately, Nigeria has also gotten Domino’s Pizza, Cold Stone Creamery, and Johnny Rockets.

Of these KFC is the only chain present in cities other than Lagos and Abuja, the capital

8 Ray Lopez January 1, 2017 at 11:47 am

Freedom Park looks modern, from the photos of the cars (late model cars).

Bonus trivia: Argentina’s GDP is bigger than Nigeria’s, with about less than one-fourth the people, but Nigeria has really taken off since the crash. Nigeria’s GDP is still less than the Philippines (nominally; don’t trust “PPP” that’s pretty bogus) and only about three times that of tiny Greece, which btw has three (3!) modern state of the art German designed, albeit with design flaws, submarines. Three. PH has none.

9 Ray Lopez January 1, 2017 at 11:55 am

@myself- go here for good data, visual: https://www.google.com/publicdata/explore note Nigeria’s life expectancy is very low, about 53 years old, which means they have high infant mortality and also probably adult mortality.

Also in nominal GDP Argentina and Greece are about tied (250-300 billion) while PH, Nigeria trail at about 50 B less).

10 Todd K January 1, 2017 at 12:49 pm

“Nigeria’s GDP is still less than the Philippines (nominally; don’t trust “PPP” that’s pretty bogus)”

When I first heard of PPP twenty years ago, I thought I understood it, then didn’t, then thought I got it again, but maybe not until I finally did.

But PPP isn’t a difficult concept so why the mental block? My guess is that it is mostly because the ones with the mental block don’t like to see that part of their world view shift. When economists get this wrong like Tyler Cowen and Noah Smith, I assume it is because their area of interest isn’t in international trade/economics.

I once saw a map of East Asia from around 1990 that showed Japan’s economic size far larger relative to China. But years later I realized that was in nominal dollars and that by 1996 China’s economy had grown larger than Japan’s and by 2006 it was over twice as large.

Those who cling to nominal international comparisons must conclude that in 2011, Japanese suddenly became richer than Americans as the yen strengthened 25% to the dollar before becoming once again poorer than Americans fro 2013. I lived in Japan those years and was unaware of the sudden increase in Japanese wealth only to be taken away three years later.

11 Todd K January 1, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Just for fun, I looked it up:

GDP nominal: Nigeria $600 billion; Philippines $300 billion (US dollars)

GDP PPP: Nigeria $1,000 billion; Philippines $700 billion (international dollars)

12 4ChanMan January 3, 2017 at 5:14 pm

I think this is a lot closer to what people like Cowen have in mind when they mean Nigerian Cuisine http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS__pwiwcJuOB488sJu2OzSi6R2FHRAoVetZVrSc7wrTKmVm7CktXlb