Faux Quebec village markets in everything

by on January 8, 2017 at 12:11 am in Economics, Film | Permalink

Canadiana Village, about an hour north of Montreal near Rawdon, Que., has been on the market since the fall. The nearly 60 hectares of land and 45 buildings are going for $2.8 million.

The village is designed to resemble a pioneer settlement from the 19th century, and includes a church, a general store, a mill, a cemetery, a saloon and 22 houses.

However, most of the buildings are just for show.

…”There’s only one livable home.”

Kaija said most of the buildings were shipped to the village over the years.

In its heyday, the village welcomed close to 30,000 tourists per year and was a popular destination for school field trips.

It was also featured in more than 110 film and TV productions, including Radio-Canada’s Pays d’en haut and I’m Not There, a Bob Dylan biographical drama.

Here is the full story, with photos, and for the pointer I thank Michelle Dawson.

1 Larry Siegel January 8, 2017 at 12:22 am

First. (I don’t get that, but other people say “first,” so, so did I.)

I’ve been there. I don’t think it’s an easy sell. A fake village in the middle of nowhere that cannot realistically be redeveloped as a residential area, it will go to the highest bidder for fake villages in the middle of nowhere.

2 So Much For Subtlety January 8, 2017 at 4:08 am

It worked for Las Vegas. They just need a few casinos and some Mob heavies.

3 Thomas January 8, 2017 at 1:04 am

It was also featured in more than 110 film and TV productions, including Radio-Canada’s Pays d’en haut and I’m Not There, a Bob Dylan biographical drama.

4 Thomas January 8, 2017 at 1:04 am

fake village, fake narratives.

5 Massimo January 8, 2017 at 1:35 am

What great example of the destruction of value which is the hallmark of the State. I doubt that pretty large property would find a buyer as it is, but add sovereignty (let’s say the option of seceding from Canada) and I would buy the same land for ten time the price. With a deep-water port, maybe 20.

6 Troll me January 8, 2017 at 2:39 am

If you run your own schools, control health expenditures, and municipal level takes care of most of the practical day to day stuff, then what more do you need?

The defined pathway to leave is not irrelevant to keeping them in. These are free people, not a dog to be chained down. You know, like the GF from hell everyone’s heard of, that doesn’t let you out without a phone to track you … just not a lot like that.

7 TMC January 8, 2017 at 7:54 pm

“You know, like the GF from hell everyone’s heard of, that doesn’t let you out without a phone to track you ”

Too much personal info, man.

8 Troll me January 9, 2017 at 4:29 am

You never heard of someone like that?

The point is actually that many tolerate such things even from Big Brother, and that this is very contrary to what most people want.

9 Cove99 January 8, 2017 at 1:36 am

It wasn’t as good as Masked & Anonymous but it had its moments…….

10 chuck martel January 8, 2017 at 8:15 am

Then there’s Colonial Williamsburg.

11 TMC January 8, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Wonder if Fauxville needs a mayor. I know someone perfectly suited, and available in about 12 days or so.

12 msgkings January 9, 2017 at 11:23 am

Why would Joe Biden want to be mayor of some tiny place in Quebec?

13 Jim gannon January 10, 2017 at 4:35 pm