Headlines of 2017

by on August 24, 2017 at 1:36 pm in Current Affairs, Economics, Uncategorized, Web/Tech | Permalink

Robo-Adviser Tries to Reach Muslim Investors (WSJ, on-line header differs)

And just to remind you this truly is 2017, here is another of today’s headlines (NYT):

France’s Macron Looks to Confront Eastern Europe Over Cheap Labor

Macron: overrated, as I’ve said from the beginning.  As for the robo-advisers, we’ll have to see.

1 Pshrnk August 24, 2017 at 1:47 pm

UH oh. FREXIT?

2 Axa August 24, 2017 at 2:01 pm

“The workers, who were enlisted to help build a nuclear power plant run by Électricité de France, known as EDF, in Flamanville, a town on the country’s northwest coast, received little to no health care coverage from 2009 to 2011, when the facility was being constructed. The employment agencies were also charged with bilking the French state of social security contributions totaling nearly €12 million.”

This looks more like social deductions evasion from the outsourcing company, or “social dumping”. Perhaps that should be the headline. If foreigners ignore local laws……this is not a reason to screw them.

3 Ted Craig August 24, 2017 at 2:52 pm

It does bring up one of the most overlooked issues in the undocumented immigrant debate, which is their questionable legal status is a bonus for many employers.

4 Careless August 24, 2017 at 3:37 pm

undocumented

lol

questionable legal status

LOL

5 prior_test3 August 25, 2017 at 12:34 am

‘undocumented’

lol – yep, that is hilarious, as they were fully documented EU citizens

‘questionable legal status’

LOL – also hilarious, as their status was completely legal, due to their being EU citizens

Good catch, it is so rare to see a commenter be able to correct someone misusing such terms when talking about EU citizens.

6 Ted Craig August 25, 2017 at 8:51 am

I was referring to the debate in the U.S. and not the EU.

7 gab August 24, 2017 at 4:24 pm

“Trump: overrated, as I’ve said from the beginning.”

8 Floccina August 24, 2017 at 3:14 pm

My 2 boys are close enough to perfect that I am glad I did not mess it up.

9 WC Varones August 24, 2017 at 3:22 pm

I ❤ robo-advisors. I’m on Schwab’s.