Kidnap Radio

by on June 9, 2010 at 12:11 pm in Economics, Political Science, Travel | Permalink

The first rule of kidnapping insurance is that you don't talk about kidnapping insurance.

That's Seth Gitter summarizing some of the economics of kidnapping insurance over at the Blog of Diminishing Returns.  Seth also points us towards a story about Caracol Radio, a radio station in Colombia that broadcasts messages from families to hostages every Saturday night:

The show is called Voces del
Secuestro, or Voices of Kidnapping. (There are several other stations
in Colombia that send messages out on other days of the week). The
host, Herbin Hoyos, is a journalist who started this program in 1994,
after he was briefly kidnapped…

For more, see Tyler's excellent analysis of the economics of kidnapping insurance.

rmg June 9, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I think you mean Colombia and not Columbia (sorry, pet peeve).

Tom Grey June 9, 2010 at 1:53 pm

“Proof of Life” is a movie about kidnapping worth mentioning here — Russel Crowe saves the husband of Meg Ryan, and the good chemistry between the two is never consumated (thanks! to some screenwriter). Fine action & suspense.

John Lockhart June 9, 2010 at 4:05 pm

The radio show reminds me of the Prison Show broadcast from my hometown of Houston. Relatives of the incarcerated call in to broadcast messages to them. http://theprisonshow.org/

Andrew June 10, 2010 at 6:15 am

I love talking about my kidnap insurance. 9mm, 45acp, .32, all that.

But seriously, how much would a marginal increase in resistance shift the cost curve for kidnappings?

voucher codes June 10, 2010 at 7:03 am

Its a great source of communication. I like the theme of the topic. It is really very interesting and informative.

ryan June 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm

seconding neil. how could you not mention the TAL episode???

rosetta stone spanish June 24, 2010 at 10:31 pm

The article written by your very good, I like it very much. I will keep your new article.

http://www.mbtsandal.com July 3, 2010 at 5:03 am

I already have my MBT Changa shoes more than 6 months – using mainly taken the 3-4 mile walk. Once you become comfortable walking shoes, main battle tanks, you will find that your leg muscles work the way you will not encounter in normal shoes. For the first few times you wear, about 20 minutes after the pain disappears, it seems effortless and walking.

Shorten your stride, faster, of course, you go straight you pull back and stomach in.

You may have heard on one of the points is to go a mile in the main battle tank shoes, walking shoes are common in the exercise equivalent of two miles. I can not find any research confirms this view.

Personally, I noticed that my muscles get more exercise when I wear Cheap MBT Chapa GTX Shoes. Since I bought them, I would like to walk more and longer distances, leading to weight loss.

I have chronic back pain my entire adult life, and to walk in these shoes shift away the pressure on my back. I have discussed, who also has a few people Discount MBT Lami Shoes, they say, they are the only shoes to wear, because they reduce their back pain.

.http://www.nicecoachhandbags.com August 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm

taoruankeji August 13, 2010 at 2:37 am

In the current days, PDF is not a mysterious format at all, many softwares come out to deal with PDF files, such as PDF cracker, PDF converter, PDF encrypter, etc. This PDF to GIF Converter is one of them which is specially designed for converting PDF to GIF format with 1:1 quality of original files. With the easy-to-use PDF to GIF Converter, you can not only convert PDF to GIF, but convert PDF to most of other image formats, such as TIFF, PNG, GPEF, BMP, etc. PDF to PPT Converter.

research chemicals February 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I’ve been looking for some nice blogs lately and this one just caught my eyes. Have a good day ahead. Such interesting content you have.