The end of doggie privacy?

by on May 6, 2015 at 1:05 pm in Data Source, Law, Science | Permalink

Dogs can run, but they can’t hide from PooPrints.

BioPet Vet Lab, which specializes in canine genetic testing, is partnering with the appropriately named London borough of Barking and Dagenham to track down dog owners who fail to remove their pets’ public deposits.

Starting in September 2016, people who don’t pick up after their dogs could be fined 80 pounds, or about $125. The registration of dogs’ DNA could become mandatory five months earlier if a pilot program proves successful.

There is more here, via Ray Lopez.  And here is a related story from Vancouver.

1 Rahul May 6, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Watch out flush forget-ers!

2 W.C. Varones May 6, 2015 at 1:35 pm

If they start using that on humans, I am screwed.

3 honkie please May 6, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Solid marketing opportunity for Upper Deck.

4 gab May 6, 2015 at 1:46 pm

This had crossed my mind the other night when I was walking my dog.

5 ibaien May 6, 2015 at 1:56 pm

solution: if you see someone not picking up their dog’s shit, say ‘hi, we all live here together, can you pick that up please?’. why is this hard?

6 Ricardo May 6, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Depends on what they do with it after picking it up.

7 Emily May 6, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Most people, if they see that someone else is around, will pick it up. It’s when no one else is around that they won’t pick up. And the people who don’t pick up even when someone is around are not people I want to start something with.

8 ibaien May 6, 2015 at 3:54 pm

my point is simply that if the preferred solution to even the smallest community nuisance is not personal interaction but rather the growth of the surveillance state, we’re all fucked. is the goal to create a society in which nobody has to speak to anybody and the fines all come in the mail?

9 Ryan May 6, 2015 at 4:51 pm

We already underestimate how enjoyable alone-activities are. We are all fucked.

10 ibaien May 6, 2015 at 5:42 pm

i’m actually really surprised no app (that i know of) has monetized people’s insatiable appetite to narc anonymously on neighbors. it could tie in with local and state law-enforcement, and the end user and app company would get a cut of the fines generated.

11 ibaien May 6, 2015 at 5:49 pm
12 Lord Action May 7, 2015 at 10:10 am

Emily’s point is that the preferred solution already works pretty well When People Are Around. And when people are not around, dog owners do the anti-social thing. The technical solution addresses the problem of when people aren’t around to see you dump poop on the sidewalk/playground/baseball field/neighbor’s yard.

13 Lord Action May 7, 2015 at 10:54 am

Although, having politely spoken to people who let their dog poop in your yard and then just walk away, I have to say that those people are evil and they know they are evil. They do rarely come back – there’s always somebody else’s lawn. But there’s a never-ending supply of dog walkers who, for obvious reasons, don’t want to pick up poop with their hands and aren’t too concerned with someone else’s two-year old human finding it.

The right long-term solution is to establish that it’s unethical to have a dog in the city or the suburbs, unless it’s dearly needed as an assistance animal.

14 Robert J Nix DVM May 6, 2015 at 4:43 pm

I think it is a wonderful idea. As a veterinarian who picks up after his and the other dogs who use my yard without asking, I could then charge them a fee for picking up after them or report them to the police. Also as one of the unemployed veterinarians in this country (and schools are producing more rather than fewer), this could provide needed jobs for us in collecting DNA and tracking down the perps. ( ps I know dog poop and broken windows do not really produce wealth for others)

15 Ray Lopez May 6, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Here in the Philippines dogs do it in the street and nobody cares, except to watch they don’t step in it.

Bonus trivia: it’s a fact that castrating your dog does change its personality, it becomes more fearful and hence more prone to bite. Neutering does however reduce the tendency of dogs to mark their territory, but at a great cost to Fido’s wholeness. In Europe it’s largely unethical to neuter pets.

16 msgkings May 6, 2015 at 7:11 pm

“I used to walk a friend’s dog in a tony part of NoCal, and never picked up, just hoped nobody watched me.”

I’m shocked, a classy guy like you doing that? I guess that part of NoCal is tony again now that you are in the third world which is probably better suited for you.

17 A European May 6, 2015 at 7:29 pm

When reading about Europe in the comment section here it always sounds like a far away, almost mythological place where everything is just that tiny bit different from the US. I don’t believe it’s considered unethical to neuter your pet in Europe. At least not where I live (Austria).

18 Jan May 6, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Are you insinuating you know more about Europe than Ray Lopez?

19 Jan May 6, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Even hang out with your friend’s bitch eh? Takes balls. Maybe they could have neutered you.

20 Rich Berger May 6, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Didn’t they do this a couple of years ago in Germany?

21 Rich Berger May 6, 2015 at 7:29 pm
22 duxie May 6, 2015 at 9:20 pm

As described it is opened to abuse. What if the dog owner wrapped it in plastic and thrown in a bin and his/her enemy fished it up and unwrapped it on the ground ? The dogs themselves also has a fascination for those things and fished them out. http://www.manuelsweb.com/poop_rolling.htm

It needs to be collaborated with CCTV footage. But if there is CCTV footage why need the DNA test?

23 Turkey Vulture May 6, 2015 at 9:53 pm

The banality of totalitarianism.

24 Mike Hunter May 7, 2015 at 11:44 am

I think the guys at freakonomics took this one on. The problem is that in order for the system to work, you need to register your dog and give a sample of its DNA. But people who don’t clean up after their dogs, are the same people who are unlikely to register them with the city doggie DNA database.

25 Dan Lavatan May 7, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Actually, they are more resourceful then that. I’ve made a note to myself to launch a service to send dog fur from another country to be submitted with registration applications, so that the actual dog fur in the DB will exonerate the guilty party.