The global war on drugs has failed, with devastating consequences for individuals and societies around the world.
…End the criminalization, marginalization and stigmatization of people who use drugs but who do no harm to others. Challenge rather than reinforce common misconceptions about drug markets, drug use and drug dependence.
…This recommendation applies especially to cannabis, but we also encourage other experiments in decriminalization and legal regulation that can accomplish these objectives and provide models for others.
…Break the taboo on debate and reform. The time for action is now.
- Asma Jahangir, human rights activist, former UN Special Rapporteur on Arbitrary, Extrajudicial and Summary Executions, Pakistan
- Carlos Fuentes, writer and public intellectual, Mexico
- César Gaviria, former President of Colombia
- Ernesto Zedillo, former President of Mexico
- Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former President of Brazil (chair)
- George Papandreou, Prime Minister of Greece
- George P. Shultz, former Secretary of State, United States (honorary chair)
- Javier Solana, former European Union High Representative for the Common Foreign and Security Policy, Spain
- John Whitehead, banker and civil servant, chair of the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation, United States
- Kofi Annan, former Secretary General of the United Nations, Ghana
- Louise Arbour, former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, President of the International Crisis Group, Canada
- Maria Cattaui, Petroplus Holdings Board member, former Secretary-General of the International Chamber of Commerce, Switzerland
- Mario Vargas Llosa, writer and public intellectual, Peru
- Marion Caspers-Merk, former State Secretary at the German Federal Ministry of Health
- Michel Kazatchkine, executive director of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, France
- Paul Volcker, former Chairman of the United States Federal Reserve and of the Economic Recovery Board
- Richard Branson, entrepreneur, advocate for social causes, founder of the Virgin Group, co-founder of The Elders, United Kingdom
- Ruth Dreifuss, former President of Switzerland and Minister of Home Affairs
- Thorvald Stoltenberg, former Minister of Foreign Affairs and UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Norway