Does telling Swedes about the true income distribution make them more right-wing?

by on October 3, 2014 at 11:34 am in Data Source, Economics, Education, Political Science | Permalink

Maybe so.  Let’s hear from Mounir Karadja, Johanna Möllerström (my new colleague), and David Seim:

We study the extent to which people are misinformed about their relative position in the income distribution and the effects on preferences for redistribution of correcting faulty beliefs. We implement a tailor-made survey in Sweden and document that a vast majority of Swedes believe that they are poorer, relative to others, than they actually are. This is true across groups, but younger, poorer, less cognitively able and less educated individuals have perceptions that are further from reality. Using a second survey, we conduct an experiment by randomly informing a subsample about their true relative income position. Respondents who learn that they are richer than they thought demand less redistribution and increase their support for the Conservative party.

This result is entirely driven by prior right-of-center political preferences and not by altruism or moral values about redistribution. Moreover, the effect can be reconciled by people with political preferences to the right-of-center being more likely to view taxes as distortive and to believe that it is personal effort rather than luck that is most influential for individual economic success.

The paper (pdf) is here, and the pointer is from Gabriel Sahlgren.

1 Ray Lopez October 3, 2014 at 11:51 am

“Modern-day Republicans have become, quite simply, the Party of the One Percent – the Party of the Rich. ” – so, if you’re rich but ignorant of being rich, then I guess you become a (Swedish equivalent) Republican when informed of the same. Quite a narrow study if you ask me. Anecdotally, when I found I was in the 1% (Net worth > 8 M), I actually became more of a socialist. Since if it’s true TC’s thesis of Great Stagation is true, then we must spread the wealth to keep the hoi polloi placated.

2 Actual Libertarian October 3, 2014 at 8:04 pm

>Anecdotally, when I found I was in the 1% (Net worth > 8 M), I actually became more of a socialist.

That’s pathetic. You could have given your own money to charity instead of demanding forced redistribution from others.

3 Ray Lopez October 4, 2014 at 12:12 am

I have no intention of giving my money to charity, and have some tax avoidance schemes already in place. If I don’t have kids some undeserving relative will get my money. But I’m still more of a Socialist than I was before 2008, thanks to TC’s book Great Stagnation, which does make sense. Long term I remain a actual libertarian.

4 Marian Kechlibar October 4, 2014 at 2:52 am

First and foremost, you remain an amusing troll, Ray 🙂

5 Thomas October 4, 2014 at 3:11 am

The idea is to make everyone else give their money. Ray provides an apt example.

6 Michael October 4, 2014 at 8:47 am

He does give his money to charity–by way of Filipino prostitutes outside of Manila.

7 foosion October 3, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Other surveys show that most people dramatically underestimate inequality, both in the US and Sweden. If people are informed of the truth, do the underestimators become more redistributionist?

8 TallDave October 3, 2014 at 1:24 pm

The interesting thing about Sweden is that their brand of democratic socialism doesn’t have much central planning in it — they devolve powers locally to an extent that would be radical in the U.S. and most First World countries.

9 li zhi October 3, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I estimate that it is not possible to rationally believe a party controlling one house of congress as well as occupying the majority of the govenors’s mansions counts only 1% as its base. The statement is absurd or delusional, imho, or intended as political disinformation. I don’t know enough about Sweden to comment on the study except to wonder why transfer payments were not included and to puzzle over how “cognitive ability” was measured – last I heard we don’t even understand what that means, let alone have a way to reduce human cognition to a single parameter. Science magazine (Sep 26) had a short essay on the difference between conservatives and liberals views on government redistribution. The subject was pain (as in Clinton’s famous “I feel your pain” line): liberals address the pain they ascribe to others while conservatives believe that others falsely report pain. I’d add that discussions of a distribution (wealth, income, standard of living) as if it were a variable we can exert direct control over fundamentally requires a big government (ie Democratic) context. Some of us deny our ability to predict the effects any intervention will have (long or medium term) on “the” distribution, even if we allow that a single metric adquately captures something of interest (and many would say that effort, free time, family, and social activities are parameters as important as income is to an adequate representation of individual satisfaction. Focus on one crude parameter is simply misleading.)

10 XVO October 3, 2014 at 1:47 pm

IQ measures it pretty well. You need to take a closer look at it. Or you have and you’re a delusional equalist.

11 Donald Pretari October 3, 2014 at 2:16 pm

“Moreover, the effect can be reconciled by people with political preferences to the right-of-center being more likely to view taxes as distortive and to believe that it is personal effort rather than luck that is most influential for individual economic success.”

Now, there’s a surprise. It would be interesting to see how people view other people’s outcomes, given a range of scenarios. Of course, it doesn’t even follow that if you’re responsible for your success, I’m responsible for my lack of success. It’s just that it’s not enough that I need to be seen as successful, you must also be seen as unsuccessful for me to feel really special.

12 celebrity Dress sizes 2011 October 4, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Any type of gold chain, ring, or earrings, can give someone a relaxed style,
and also look very trendy for this season. The higher the carat of
gold, the more yellow, richer and golden the gold ring design will appear.
Deep condition often, and use a leave-in conditioner.

13 this hyperlink October 5, 2014 at 12:31 am

Thiss is my first time pay a visit at here and i
am truly pleassant to rerad evertthing at one place.

14 miforum.net October 5, 2014 at 1:15 am

Hi everybody, here every person is sharing these kinds of
familiarity, thus it’s good to read this webpage, and
I used to pay a quick visit this web site daily.

15 http://nonasolander.mywapblog.com/ October 5, 2014 at 9:42 am

This paragraph is genuinely a nice one it assists new internet people, who are wishing in favor
of blogging.

16 http://imgur.Com/epom0Nt October 6, 2014 at 1:07 am

Hi friends, how is everything, and what you desire to say
regarding this piece of writing, in my view its truly amazing in favor of me.

17 animated gifs October 6, 2014 at 4:23 am

Creating an animated GIF in photoshop is pretty all to easy to do frame-by-frame.
If a page requires two full screens of scrolling or more, simply split it into
multiple pages. You can learn lots of information from various forums and sites, and some ones even provide you with
updates using the latest information that there is always to know around the web which might be
very helpful for you.

18 http://www.opusfx.com October 6, 2014 at 7:11 am

「AKB国立競技場の公演が中止」って報道が流れてたけど、チケット販売始まってるじゃん
ドラマ見てりゃCMに出演者のCMばっか流れてるのもわからんのか
壊されたも何も壊して前だけ向いていける奴だけセレクションしてるんだからイヤなら辞めろ

19 like October 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Every weekend i used to go to see this website, because i wish for enjoyment, for the reason that this this web page conations really
good funny stuff too.

20 Egyptian Celebrities Without Makeup October 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Thank you for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and
I am waiting for your further post thanks once again.

21 http://macnoje.centerblog.net October 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Excellent web site. A lot of helpful information here. I’m sending it to some
pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks to your effort!

22 Pablo October 7, 2014 at 3:15 am

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too.
This kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the amazing works
guys I’ve incorporated you guys to blogroll.

23 debbr95y.buzznet.com October 12, 2014 at 5:29 am

I do not know if it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing issues with your site.
It appears like some of the text within your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know
if this is happening to them as well? This might be
a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen before.
Many thanks

24 blog October 12, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Not for Profit organization and haas been with De Aquila
at Santlache” except he said to be around Parkk City is for Spede! As long as you’re u2 drinking.Hello, I’m burning, I’m sitting iin a vast amount of the People location Celebration, which cleaely states tthe potential returns and measurement goals.

25 cam sites October 17, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Most in the PC users now ought to opt for webcams that may capture high-definition video.
That way you’ll earn more cash and reach your minimum
payout faster. For several interested individuals
who actually wanted to work as being a cam product as a way to make
some further money.

26 could October 23, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Eating large levels of protein in your diet can be very demanding.
I used a protein supplement to my training inside the last 8 years.
Protein powder kroger Of every one of these choices, the most effective one
is the whey protein because it offers the top nourishment by choosing natural organic protein powder.

The selection of protein powder is very essential and may be consulted with experts.
At present, jane is writing for Venom Protein on different nutritious
supplements like whey protein concentrate powder, choc whey protein isolate powder, whey concentrate and whey protein isolate.

27 www.opusfx.coom October 27, 2014 at 10:27 pm