Bill Kristol interviews me at Roosevelt University

by on September 27, 2017 at 1:53 am in Current Affairs, Economics, Education, Food and Drink, History, Philosophy, Political Science, The Arts, Travel, Web/Tech | Permalink

1 prior_test3 September 27, 2017 at 2:54 am

‘at Roosevelt University’

With Bill Kristol involved, one can easily think that the ‘at’ is the same sort as the one used by the Mercatus Center at GMU. Yep – ‘Roosevelt University hosts major conference on the American Dream on Sept. 11-14’ – https://www.roosevelt.edu/news-events/news/20170630-AmericanDreamReconsidered A link well worth reading, actually.

If only because according to the university’s web site ‘Roosevelt University is a national leader in educating socially conscious citizens for active and dedicated lives as leaders in their professions and their communities.’

Or as noted by wikipedia – ‘Roosevelt University is a coeducational, private university with campuses in Chicago, Illinois and Schaumburg, Illinois. Founded in 1945, the university is named in honor of both former President Franklin Delano Roosevelt and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt. The university’s curriculum is based on principles of social justice.’ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_University

But then, as any good follower of any ideology opposed to ‘social justice’ knows, a tolerance of views which social justice opposes, such as those held by advocates of waging wars of aggression, is a fatal weakness.

2 So Much For Subtlety September 27, 2017 at 3:34 am

I feel so violated! Naming a university against a serial wild-animal-slayer, a Rough Rider who committed crimes against the peace-loving people of Cuba, a war-monger and a Republican like Franklin D. Roosevelt should be unacceptable in this day and age.

I insist that it be re-named. I suggest after an early feminist pioneer like the first person to fly solo across the Pacific – Amelia Earhart!

3 NPW September 27, 2017 at 6:32 am

She only made it to Hawaii.

4 dearieme September 27, 2017 at 4:11 am

“The American Dream” is rather like ‘zombie’: when I see the expression I do something else.

5 ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ September 27, 2017 at 8:33 am

I was surprised at Tyler’s long term optimism for online education. I thought everything was stuck in a doldrums.

Perhaps it must wait for a generational change, and department heads who grew up with YouTube.

6 Pr September 27, 2017 at 10:46 am

I love how impatient Tyler gets with Bill rambling on _ don’t have the patience to listen to the end sorry!

7 Thursday September 27, 2017 at 11:06 am

Will people please stop talking to that cretinous warmonger.

8 rayward September 27, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Cowen is America’s pre-eminent public intellectual.

9 cliff arroyo September 28, 2017 at 1:29 am

Bill Kristol is still a thing? Who knew?

10 well-damn September 29, 2017 at 8:42 am

“cretinous” should auto-insert before words “bill kristol” … the picture of the plutocrat’s suckup

11 John Chapman September 29, 2017 at 2:43 pm

terrific interview

12 Rafael R September 30, 2017 at 5:31 pm

That explains why US rent prices are so high. When I moved to the US I was impressed by the cost of rents compared to other prices. True, perhaps America’s biggest problem.

13 jb October 2, 2017 at 3:23 am

Great interview. The North Korea point in particular was interesting. I also really appreciate how TC gets to the point very quickly, in contrast to BKs rambling.